Betta Fish Forum banner

381 - 400 of 466 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thank you for your encouragement. If you can accept you may only get nine months and not stress every day over it, then I say give that gorgeous blue boy a go ! We can prove this thing wrong I pray.

Hanabi was in bare bottom, no dead plants. It is truly crazy mystery. Thank you for your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Sorry about your boys. :-(

The only thing that's I've ever known caused Nitrate spikes is dead and decaying matter. Could you have missed dead plant matter? Or if you have gravel not vacuumed deep enough? Although 30 is not, IME, enough to cause concern or harm to fish. While here we say keep it under 20 there are a lot of long-time aquarists who believe anything under 50 is harmless. I say this because I do not believe 30 caused Hanabi's bloat/pineconing. So please don't feel responsible or guilty; I think it was mere coincidence.

I have a friend on FB who sells imports and I am so so tempted. I am seriously considering getting this boy and seeing how he does compared to Martias' US-bred Betta.

View attachment 859874

View attachment 859882
What a looker. I love blues and that boys face is just adorable.

·
Registered
212 Posts
So I have 6 baby cpd's on hold at my lfs. I saw them and was intrigued, and then saw you keep them! I intend for them to go into my planted ten with my male veiltail Patriot eventually, they are too small now. I would appreciate any advice on care you can share especially on feeding. I will not do live foods. I plan to start with frozen daphnia, are they attracted to garlic? Any advice on how to introduce the betta and cpds? Should I remove the betta, let them settle for days then reintroduce the betta? I have a breeder net. Should I keep him in the net for a day? I have never introduced a betta before. Thanks for any advice on best procedures.

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #384 (Edited)
I broke down and decided to give imports one more try. :dunno: Well, I do know: I love piebalds and Black Coppers. The seller has three more Black Orchids but they have cello/black fins.

This is either "William," "Andrews" or "Clark." He's a Black Copper and the name will be for William Andrews Clark, Copper King of Butte, MT. There were three Copper Kings but Clark is considered the first, richest and last. I'm dithering, again, on names. ;-)

BlackDragon1.jpg

BlackDragon2.jpg

BlackDragon3.jpg

And this is a Piebald Black Orchid Butterfly with the tentative name of "Farinelli," a flamboyant Casterato from the 18th Century and considered one of the greatest singers in the history of opera.

Piebald.jpg

·
Registered
212 Posts
Congratulations on all that gorgeousness! Praying for longevity and good health for all of feet and fins! My cpd fry, they are colorless and 1/2" or less are in the tank. He said they came in small but really??? He gave me an extra for free. So Patriot is out of the tank or their names would have been breakfast lunch and dinner. So any advice on best practices with cpds and hiw to successfully intoduce betta eventually will be greatly appreciated. All the best wishes for a smooth "break down" lol. Names are amazing, history lesson to boot!

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #388 (Edited)
So I have 6 baby cpd's on hold at my lfs. I saw them and was intrigued, and then saw you keep them! I intend for them to go into my planted ten with my male veiltail Patriot eventually, they are too small now. I would appreciate any advice on care you can share especially on feeding. I will not do live foods. I plan to start with frozen daphnia, are they attracted to garlic? Any advice on how to introduce the betta and cpds? Should I remove the betta, let them settle for days then reintroduce the betta? I have a breeder net. Should I keep him in the net for a day? I have never introduced a betta before. Thanks for any advice on best procedures.
I am so sorry, I missed this post somehow. :-(

I feed live food (Micro, Banana and Walter Worms) and for the wee fish frozen Mini-Bloodworms (mosquito larva), Krill, Cyclops and Daphnia. Live food is not icky if that's your reason for not feeding. The worms are next to invisible until they hit the tank.

I made a base of oatmeal, sprinkled a bit of yeast on it and then spread the worm culture. The worms climb the side of the tank. I use my finger but you can use a toothpick or swab to remove. I don't even rinse.

Introduce to Patriot with the lights off and leave the lights off for an hour or so. This prevents him from becoming aggressive. I wouldn't put him in a breeder's net but directly into the tank when the babies are big enough.

Hope this helped.

And we'll keep our fingers crossed that these two guys do well. This time, they have been with the importer for three weeks before being shipped to me so they've had more time to adjust to our water.

The first Betta in this video is mine; the other three...with cello fins...are for sale.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thank you for the light tip! Have you ever lost a cpd to a betta that youknow of? My friend lost two neons of good size over a couple so I am a bit nervous... I fed frozen baby brine, smaller than daphnia, these guys are so tiny. I will see how they do. I do have frzn mini bloodworms too but wouldn't they have to be cut up? I just cant do live...no time or desiree, will do a variety and see how it goes. Thank you so much.

I can say you find the most gorgeous bettas, honestly, once again, wow. It makes me realize once again that you rarely see REAL quality in the big box stores, no question on that.

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #390
I've honestly never lost any community fish, shrimp or CPO to a Betta. I think when people do it's 99% a Betta opportunity kill on a weakened or dying critter.

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
Well. the "Great I Can't Believe I Let It Get This Bad Cleanup" has started. You know how you look at your tank or tanks and think: "I can do this tomorrow...and tomorrow....and tomorrow?" For me, the day of reckoning has arrived. I looked at my tanks and thought: "You poor fish (and frogs and shrimp and snails) I have not been kind."

So far all of the tanks are filled to the top and as much of that @#$% Duckweed as I can has been destroyed. Now I have to rinse the Dwarf Water Lettuce, Frogbit and Red Root Floaters and all of the hundreds of other plants and then be diligent of picking out any stray Duckweed I find. I have also removed all of the plants from three aquariums...do you know how many bowls and pots that was? Let us say we won't be having spaghetti any time soon. Then one of the 5.5 tanks is so full of plants you can't see inside. Plants are growing in and out; some have migrated and are growing in the 5.5 next door. If I weren't so embarrassed I'd take a picture.

By this time tomorrow it will be five down (four 5.5 and one 2.5) and three to go. Including the two 20 longs because I'm receiving a major shipment from www.msjinkzed.com to replace the fish that were killed by overfeeding while we were on vacation. Oh, and the eight where Edison resides.

I make it sound worse that it is...maybe. Everyone is happily swimming; Edison, Puck, Swagger, Joppa, Akro, Farinelli, Clark and Polidori are all flaring and the ADF are fluffy; no one is skinny or starving. They just have too many darned plants and Duckweed!

So let us pray I'm finished by Thursday when the new shipment arrives. And let reassure any of you...we all have lapses in care of our aquariums so don't feel too badly if, on occasion, you neglect yours.

Until later.....Linda

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
I'm sure there are many hobbyists who wish neglect meant they could fill a tank with plants. Duckweed seems to grow from thin air. I've had it turn up in tanks where there's been absolutely no cross-contamination of any kind.

What fish will you be receiving from Msjinkzd? I wish we had half the selection of species she stocks. Most of the unique smaller fish we get in don't seem to have come through entirely legal channels, and then people don't breed them so they are very quickly gone. I am still lamenting the fact that I didn't purchase Sundadanio when they were around.

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
I'm sure there are many hobbyists who wish neglect meant they could fill a tank with plants. Duckweed seems to grow from thin air. I've had it turn up in tanks where there's been absolutely no cross-contamination of any kind.

What fish will you be receiving from Msjinkzd? I wish we had half the selection of species she stocks. Most of the unique smaller fish we get in don't seem to have come through entirely legal channels, and then people don't breed them so they are very quickly gone. I am still lamenting the fact that I didn't purchase Sundadanio when they were around.
I think Duckweed is airbourne and even if you've never had it it will come in through an open window!

I lost all of my Sundadanio 'Blue', Hara jerdoni, Pygmy Cory and Dario Dario. The Sundadanio 'Blue' and Dario Dario are my favorite Nano fish. Pictures don't do the Sundanio justice.

I'm getting the following. Thank goodness for Seachem Stability!

Sundadanio 'Blue'
Chili Rasbora
Green Neon Tetra
Ember Tetra
Habrosus Cory
Pygmy Cory
CPD
Hara Jerdoni
Dario Dario
Amano Shrimp
Horned Nerite Snails
Tracked Nerite
Zebra Nerite

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Linda I just busted a gut laughing. I feel your tank pain. Good luck with clean up. May need to put in order for fish as well 😊

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
Jealous of your list! A store I visited years ago stocked Sundadanio (they were the blueish-green looking species), and it was hard to believe such a small fish could be so brilliantly coloured.

It must have been devastating to lose all those fish. Especially the Dario Dario, as they certainly seem to develop individual personalities in much the same way as bettas.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I hope nothing bad happens again :-(

You got a really nice list of fish coming! I always find unfamiliar fish names in your posts and find them attractive. Having outgrowing plants is much better than having dying plants. You should upload pictures of your tanks one day. I'm dying to see them!

·
Super Moderator
18,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #398
Super excited for you! I also had to look up some of the fish on that list ?
I may have to get some of them too!!
And I'm excited that you'll soon be back selling plants so I can recommend, again! I'll be needing some Dwarf Cray. ;-)

For anyone reading who doesn't know; JDAquatics sells some of the nicest plants, nano fish and inverts.

381 - 400 of 466 Posts