·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Ember tetras....hate spell correction!

·
Super Moderator
19,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes, you can add stock immediately I always use Stability when I add fish. Have fun! :)

PS: The black in that cross stitch is not the Aida canvas; it's also cross stitching!

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Incredible Linda! You are super talented and patient to do that! !

Reactions: fatblonde

·
Super Moderator
19,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks, everyone. And, Nick, there's no way you're getting Boo Betta from me! I bought him on eBay from the nicest seller. Here's the seller's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edrb35owwfY

And Stacey, we'll wait until the cross stitch is finished to see how talented I am. ;-)

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I noticed that the better looking Bettas are often from the South. Including FL that is. Not sure if it's the warmth or just the Southern hospitality :p

Do you do breeding by the way? Just curious

Reactions: picklewyoming90

·
Super Moderator
19,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
No breeding. I just enjoy.

This guy is in Wisconsin...not as far as FL from you. I bought Boo Betta from him. Nicest seller and Boo Betta was so well packed and so healthy. I'm moving him from the 5.5 to the eight because he has so much personallity and I can see him better.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/ka_yan3/m.html?item=121850183189&hash=item1c5ed63e15:g:skwAAOSw1S9WgAGG&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

BTW, if you see a Betta you like from ilovbettas and it doesn't sell email and ask; he'll normally sell for starting bid instead of relisting.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Ah, I did saw their auctions last week. Didn't click on it thinking they're in Thailand. Those fishes are lovely. I know I'd have space for another girl next year. Maybe I should consider this seller. Can't wait :D

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Yay! I'm so glad you started a journal! I love reading about what keeping was like back before the internet. I'm definitely subbing!

·
Super Moderator
19,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Arrived!

My first Giant arrived today. His body is much deeper in color as are his fins. I cannot say enough nice things about the sell. Will add more photos when Gary gets back from his trip as he has the camera.

Introducing "Whatever-I-Decide-To-Name-Him."

Attachments

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Aaawww he's so adorable! I love shiny fishes XD

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
He is stunning! Congrats! Cant way to see pix

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
What tank are you putting him in?

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
What a gorgeous guy!

·
Registered
160 Posts
one specific tip I have had trouble finding comes to mind looking at your beautiful fish: how do you maintain half moon bettas fins so well? I have no problem keeping HM alive, but my current one came home with beautiful fins, and has generally never had them look that good again. The obvious thoughts are water quality and good stock to begin with, but do you have any other fin-specific advice?

·
Super Moderator
19,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
one specific tip I have had trouble finding comes to mind looking at your beautiful fish: how do you maintain half moon bettas fins so well? I have no problem keeping HM alive, but my current one came home with beautiful fins, and has generally never had them look that good again. The obvious thoughts are water quality and good stock to begin with, but do you have any other fin-specific advice?
Does your decor pass the panty hose test? Run a pair of hose over the decor and if it snags so will the Betta's fins.

The fins of most of my HM do not stay that way as they all live in community tanks. As long as there are not secondary problems it doesn't bother me to see less-than-perfect fins.

I've come to believe just about the only way to keep the fins that perfect is to house Betta the same as breeders do or as you see in pet store: Tanks bereft of any decor or substrate. But that's just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
19,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
What tank are you putting him in?
Right now he's exploring a five. I like to start them out small to get them used to somthing other than a bare one gallon. Doesn't seem to stress them as much. Eventually I'll put him in the eight.

21 - 40 of 477 Posts