Betta Fish Forum banner

41 - 60 of 477 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Why I Bought Three Betta When I Only Needed One; Or, How I Learned To Dither

I don’t know if you’ve been reading but I lost my Koi Plakat, Clooney right before Christmas. We returned from Michigan in late October and his caudal was completely gone. He was in the 20-long community tank so I put him in the 2.5 by himself for treatment. He became so lethargic that I put him back in the 20 where he immediately perked up. So much for those who say all Betta prefer to live alone.

This is Clooney…or Mr. Pouty Lips as I called him. I bought him to put in the Nippy Neon community tank thinking a Plakat would work better than a long-fin. And I was right. Until he lost the entire caudal in what must have been some sort of accident his fins were intact.

9.jpg

Anyway, he was doing great; new growth, no further damage, eating well, very active. Then right before Christmas I came in to find him dead. The night before he was active and eating. It was devastating. Clooney was my first and only Plakat and I enjoyed him so much because his tank is eye-level right next to my end of the sofa.

So what did I do? Without any intention of buying I looked at Betta on eBay and AquaBid. I saw a lovely HMEE (Halfmoon Elephant Ear) on AquaBid. He is not the same color of my other HMEE and something about him was appealing. I’m not into breeding so perfect isn’t important to me. He is from the seller who is ilovbettas on eBay. As a matter of fact, I bought Clooney from Jorge. I bid on this boy…totally unsuitable for a 20 gallon with Nippy Neon:

image_35.jpg

I never figured to get him for $14.99 (the starting and my maximum bid). So, when I saw this lovely Giant boy and seeing as I’ve never had a Giant and being he is one of my favorite color combinations I did a Buy It Now. And trust me, he is just as lovely in person as he is in this photo. He is living a 5.5-gallon heavily-planted tank with five Habrosus Cory and some Dwarf Orange Crayfish while transitioning to a larger home. But he’s having such a great time in the 5.5 I’m not sure I’ll move him up. Depends on how big he gets.

IMG_0558.jpg

After buying him I thought: “Wait! I still don’t have a Plakat for the community full of Nippy Neon Tetra!” You may well ask: “Why do you have a tank full of Nippy Neon Tetra?” Because Gary does not share my love of all things aquatic. But he does like the Neon. I figure it’s the least I can do for the man who tolerates six tanks when I promised I’d only have one or two and also promised to keep them off the kitchen counter. The counter now has two.

Back to the Plakat for the community full of Nippy Neon. I asked the seller of the Giant if he had any Plakat. He sent me numerous photos. I chose this boy:

IMG_0540.JPG

He may not be perfect but isn’t he gorgeous? I just love him. Alas, Tom found him dead in his aquarium on Christmas morning. He offered to let me substitute from several he hadn’t yet listed on AquaBid. With the help of some forum members I narrowed it down to these two:

HMPKEEandHMEE.jpg

While the HMPKEE (Halfmoon Plakat Elephant Ear
) is striking I liked the form of the HMPK (Halfmoon Plakat
) better. And I kept thinking how much that horde of Nippy Neon would love the HMPKEE’s gorgeous, big ears! So I’d made up my mind on the little Plakat when the seller sent me this boy:

BlackHMPK.jpg

Now what do I do? I am never indecisive on Betta but having to make another pick after I had my heart set on the Plakat that died discombobulated me and was driving me nuts!

And to top it all off, I won the HMEE for $14.99! I had room for two Betta-only but from experience I know I cannot put a HM in the 20 long with all of those Nippy Neon which is why I needed a Plakat. So, what to do? I’ll tell you: I got that 2.5 going for Harry who seems to like it better than the 5.5....at the least he was more active in the 2.5 than he is in the 5.5. I hope Gary doesn’t notice I didn’t make room on the counter as I had promised. See, he’s in Kansas pheasant hunting with Boo the Setter and our friend, Paul, and his dogs. All the Betta arrive while he’s gone so I hope he doesn’t notice….Fat Chance!

Back to the Betta: So which Plakat did I get? None. I liked them but I just wasn’t enamored of them as I was my first choice. So back to the drawing board. Then I saw this lovely Copper girl and says to myself: “Self, why not get a female? You really should have experience with all types of Betta. You’ve had VT, HM, HMEE, HM Dragons, HMPK and soon a Giant….all males. Don’t you need to get a female?” “Yes,” I said to self. So I decided on this little Copper cutie over a male HMPK:

Copper2.jpg

So now you know how I spent Christmas and the day after and the day after…in a dither and dithering! Oh, I won the Copper girl and she shall be named either Minerva or Millicent. She and the HMEE are from the same seller and should be here on Thursday.

UPDATE: Gary throws a spanner in the works! He came back tonight, Sunday!! Eek! That means the HMEE and Little Cutie will arrive while he’s here. How the heck am I going to sneak them in? Oh, well, I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. At least the camera is back....Oh, and Gary, too, of course. ;-)​

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
As you know I am a huge fan of short fin Bettas so what can I say but nice fish.
IMO Plakat's are easier to keep because they can stand a little current so it makes filtration easier.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Oh, that female is gorgeous! She might nip the nippers back and set them in line ;-)

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Girls rule boys drool! :p she's beautiful xx

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
I love your story about picking out each betta. They are each stunning in own way. I think you will love having a girl. They are very fun and can be quite feisty so perfect to hold her own with nippy neons. Glad to hear your giant is doing so well. I love his long fins. Alas, you sound so much like me on the tanks. Hmm honey this will be the last betta, honey just had to rescue this one, hmm wonder if I can sneak another 10 gallon up the back stairs and he won't notice??? Can't wait to see pictures when you get her home. Love to see some tank pictures as well.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Uh oh...better be real nice to Gary! Poor fella! Hope he had a good hunt. You were busy "hunting" betta online, very very.successfully. yay! LOL.

I think that black plakat is amazing. How you resisted I do not know!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I am sooo enjoying your journal. I am crazy for white fish, and yours is a real stunner! I got a little "white" girl with burgundy fins-- but she's since turned burgundy all over! Beautiful...but not white! She is so perky, and fun! I would get another girl in a minute!
I have to ask-- what is the story behind naming that stunning pink betta "Harry"?
I

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hahaha I can only hope that my boyfriend will be as accepting of my betta obsession! I've already started priming him by having him care for mine while I'm away during our winter break from college, but we dont live together yet but I figure it's a good start! All of your fish are stunning and well worth your rigorous selection processes!

·
Super Moderator
19,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Giant to Live Alone :-(

Alas, the Giant (still no name) will be living with only plants as room mates.

I was cleaning up Harry's tank which is next to the Giant's when I saw him chasing the Habrosus Cory and, even worse, my little Dario! Now I can tolerate a lot of things....most things, actually....but don't mess with my Dario Dario!

So I netted Harry and put him in the other tank and while the Giant was trying to figure out what the heck of was going on I netted him and put him in Harry's clean tank.

So always have a back up plan 'cos you never know when you're going to need it.

BTW, he seems to be enjoying the heck out of Harry's tank. Although not very bright as he keeps flaring at an Anubias even though it doesn't flare back.

Oh, and I don't know why I named Harry "Harry." I just did. It's that way with most of my Betta except a marble. I named him "Random" because marbles are so random in how they turn out.

I've had Betta named:

Leander
Emerson (a white Betta named for Michael Emerson on "Person of Interest")
Finch (Ditto....Michael Emerson's character)
Random
Dexter
Arden
Clooney
Spot
Eric the Red
Remington (a black Betta named after the James Spader character on "The Black List")
Si
Willie
Little Willie and
Lips Magoo

·
Registered
339 Posts
Late to the party... But I'm loving this journal thus far!
How you resisted that black PK I have no clue. But that copper girl is gorgeous too.

Females... I tell you are not to be messed with. My male is in my community and he is so placid, he lives with swordtails fine. My girls though. Not a chance! They are such characters and have inner drama queens. I'd have a girl over and over. What they lack in size and finnage, they surely make up for in personality.

Edit: I thought you'd named a snail Gary until a few moments a go. God I got so confused :,) only just figured he is your other half.

Reactions: fatblonde

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
That is great. Love the name list. Hilarious about the giant flaring at the anubias. Glad you noticed right away who needed to move to plan B. I bet it was funny seeing their faces though wondering now what just happened here...

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
This is such a fascinating journal! Love your beautiful bettas and reading about all the knowledge you've acquired while keeping fish.

·
Super Moderator
19,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Kuhli Here, Kuhli There....Kuhli Fishes Everywhere!

Right after college I went to work in a pet store so I could learn more about fish and how to groom (always, always have a backup plan ;-) ). This was 1970 and undergravel filters were the bee's knees of filtration.

The owner hired an assistant manager. Unfortunately, this one didn't know his butt from a hole in the ground when it came to fish but had a business degree...which apparently made up for his lack of knowledge. I just had a BS in Education with a double major: English and History. So what did I know? :roll: Plus, I was a woman and would someday get married and not need a job as this guy did because my husband would support me. Aren’t you glad we burned our bras???

Back then we had to order fish from St. Louis and drive to Louisville, KY to pick them up.

When the order came in there were 100+ Kuhli Loaches. They were rare back then and to get that many was quite a coup. I floated them (this was also pre-breather bag) in two separate tanks. Before I could release them, the assistant manager took those Kuhli and put two or three in each of our 50 tanks! The other employee and I tried to tell him it wouldn't work but he insisted it looked better to have a few in each tank for "variety" and "display" rather than have "a wriggling mass" of them in two tanks.

Well, if you know anything about Kuhli you know where they went....right down the undergravel filter tubes into the undergravel filters. And you know who had to catch them when a customer wanted one? Not me. :lol: The manager was so irritated he made the AM catch them....especially since he had given him an outline on fish and one was the Kuhli went all in one tank if fewer than 50 and in two tanks if more. AND they went in the tanks with the little guards on top of the undergravel filter tubes. The AM had to search each of those 50 tanks to find one with a Kuhli who had ventured out of the undergravel filter and then try to catch him before it dashed down the UGF tube! I suggested he throw a net over each tube so if the Kuhli tried going down the tube it would be netted instead. Hey! I used to be a sympatheticc person! Besides, it's disconcerting to see a grown man cry over catching a Kuhli...well, that last may be an exaggeration but I swear his eyes were teary.

The AM must not have even cracked that outline because he also put the baby Neons in the Cichlid and large Angel tanks and the male Fancy Guppies in with the Tiger Barbs. You can imagine how that turned out.

But the Kuhli loach fiasco was the best. :)

Below is an excellent video of Kuhli feeding. Can you imagine trying to catch the single Kuhli in a tank with a plethora of other fish, decor and undergravel filter tubes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1cxT6ukNis

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Can you imagine trying to catch the single Kuhli in a tank with a plethora of other fish, decor
As somebody who has Kuhli Loaches in a heavily planted tank I do not need to imagine, I know.

·
Super Moderator
19,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
As somebody who has Kuhli Loaches in a heavily planted tank I do not need to imagine, I know.
:rofl: That is supposed to be ROFL

·
Registered
158 Posts
....The owner hired an assistant manager. Unfortunately, this one didn't know his butt from a hole in the ground when it came to fish but had a business degree...which apparently made up for his lack of knowledge.

:eek:mg:. . . . :shock2: . . . . :sarcastic: . . . . :bluelaugh:
:lol:​

Below is an excellent video of Kuhli feeding.
Are the Kuhli Loaches the snake-like looking ones in the video?

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Too funny. I can imagine the comedy act that ensued trying to catch them.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Wow!

41 - 60 of 477 Posts