Betta Fish Forum banner
481 - 500 of 512 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #481 ·
What I'm Doing:
Taking down two 20 long tanks and an eight.

Why I'm Doing it:
I cannot do justice by John Lee Pettimore and Ernest T. Bass and keep up with two 20 long, the eight and two 2.5 gallons. And, keep my indoor plants thriving and Edward and Fiona the Shih Tzu groomed.

My plan:
One 20 will be used for a humid environment for my Episcia and other plants that need more than the humidifier provides. Our house is so dry! I filled an empty 20 and within seven days 50%+ of the water had evaporated!!! I knew it was a lot because I was constantly filling up so the heaters would stay submerged but certainly not that much.

I have two PetSmart 2.5 gallon tanks (12" x 6" x 8") and just purchased two Dennerle 2.5 (8" x 8" x 10"). They will have Aqueon PFE-1 filters and Hydor heaters (either 25 or 50 watt...I have both).

Will be nicely planted. I think I have enough Anubias, Crypts, Echinodorus and Dwarf Water Lettuce. As my neighbor has a Koi pond I will also buy some Hornwort. She gets the excess DWL and stem plants for her Koi.

If you've been following my thread in Pictures, "Decisions, Decisions," you know I already have two Betta on the way so I will be at my limit.

Why 2.5 tanks? Space and I like them. The Dennerle will fit on my end table and are under its weight limit (I hope...may have to add a support). The other two will fit on the top shelf of the aquarium stand with a couple of inches to spare. It will be so much easier doing a weekly one-gallon water change and vacuum on four smaller tanks than the 16 I've been doing.

I'm really, really hoping the plants in the bottom tank will appreciate the Finnex Stingray as I have three 30" I won't be using. I'm worried that a 16" Stingray might be a bit too strong when I span two of the 2.5 tanks. If it is, I'll need to buy two Finnex Stingray 2.

In any case, I now have three 20 long and four 5.5 tanks to rehome (for free). Plus used but working filters for the 20 longs. So if you know anyone near Nashville send me a PM.

So, that's where things stand. Dennerle tanks came today (Wednesday), taking down the top 20 tomorrow and cleaning up the bottom one. When that's done all I need to do is set up the Dennerle and move Ernest T. and John Lee.

Then next week everything will be ready when Phineas T. Barnum and Roscoe P. Coltrane arrive.

The only downside is I'm pretty sure Edward and Fiona won't be thrilled to know I will now have the time to groom them every week. ;)

And if any of you are plant addicts, I have:
Calathea
Variegated and non-variegated String of Hearts
Rhizo and Rex Begonia
Mini African Violet Trailers
Episcias (the humidity hogs)
Peperomia (a few)
Philodendron Micans
String of Pearls
Pep Ruby Cascade
String of Turtles
Philodendron 'Hope'
Victorian Fern

I will be thinning some of them come Spring. If interested shoot me a PM with what you'd like. Will be sent bare root for cost of postage. I'm sure the non-variegated String of Hearts/Rosary Vine will be able to spare cuttings; not so much the variegated or the String of Pearls.

·
Super Moderator
24,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #486 ·
All those best laid plans went kaput. The death tank remained so no matter what I did. So I sold it, two other 20 long and four 5.5.

Three Betta in 2.5 gallons and a temporary Kritter Keeper died. That's why I posed the longevity question. I do know a US breeder and bought three males from him for the 10s. So I have these three and my little blue rim.
Flower Petal Plant Orange Organism
Water Organism Petal Underwater Terrestrial plant
Water Organism Fin Beak Pet supply
Bird Beak Snout Water Tail

Now I have two (three when PetSmart restocks) divided x 2 10 gallons. Also bought a custom-made tank stand from a craftsman on Etsy. Beautiful work. I can place it in front of the other tanks because I had it made short enough that it won't interfere with my view of the others.
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Table Hardwood
Table Wood Outdoor furniture Rectangle Wood stain
Wood Table Rectangle Outdoor table Wood stain

If you ever need a custom-made stand or anything else I can highly recommend Custom made furniture for the contemporary by FirmFoundationWW

·
Registered
680 Posts
So happy I found this journal and finally found out how to subscribe to a thread! I think it will be both interesting and educational for me to read. I am sort of starting to read from end to beginning, I realized 😆

·
Super Moderator
24,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #489 ·
Thank you, betta4ever!

Will not go into details but I lost every fish when we were away on vacation in Montana last Fall. Also lost a tank of Filter Feeders. So I am now fishless. Betta-less for the first time in 50+ years.

I am regrouping. Will most likely wind up with two 10 gallons Betta-based community tanks with Dario Dario and Habrosus Cory and one 10 gallon for Filter Feeders (Vampire and Bamboo Shrimp and Thai Micro Crabs) and Bloody Mary Neocaridina. Or one Betta-based community in a 10 and two for Filter Feeders and Neos. I enjoy the Filter Feeders more than anything I've ever kept. Will decide on what other fish for the communities when I'm ready to stock.

Will set the tanks back up and add plants before adding fish or FF. Probably will restock after we return from another vacation to Montana and Wyoming in late Spring. If you ever get to the states insist on seeing Montana and the Bison Reserve. :)

Two of my Thai Micro Crabs and Nerite Snail. Can you spot the other, tiny TMC? Have to download other resident photo from my phone.
Plant Grass Fines herbes Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant

·
Registered
403 Posts
Russel first, I am so glad that you are back on the website, it was not the same without you on the forums !! Many feel the same as I do but all we hope for is that you are doing well while you are away.
I feel for you and all the loss you have recently had to cope with. I know how heartbroken you must feel . You are a dedicated fish keeper who gave a great home to your fish, and I know that when you feel the time is right, you will give new fish an excellent home!

I read a good portion of your diary here and plan to read the rest really soon. I am inspired by your journey as a fish keeper and wish you the best!!

Your micro crabs are adorable and snails are lovely. 🌸

·
Registered
60 litres with 2 blue rams, my cat!
3,831 Posts
Will not go into details but I lost every fish when we were away on vacation in Montana last Fall. Also lost a tank of Filter Feeders. So I am now fishless. Betta-less for the first time in 50+ years.
I'm so sorry for your losses! I feel you...
I am regrouping. Will most likely wind up with two 10 gallons Betta-based community tanks with Dario Dario and Habrosus Cory and one 10 gallon for Filter Feeders (Vampire and Bamboo Shrimp and Thai Micro Crabs) and Bloody Mary Neocaridina. Or one Betta-based community in a 10 and two for Filter Feeders and Neos. I enjoy the Filter Feeders more than anything I've ever kept. Will decide on what other fish for the communities when I'm ready to stock.
Thats great! I am so glad you are regrouping! I love betta comunity tanks! What are the 'Filter feeder'?
Two of my Thai Micro Crabs and Nerite Snail. Can you spot the other, tiny TMC? Have to download other resident photo from my phone.
This crab is so cute! I didn't know that crabs also lived in freshwater!! The nerite is the black thing, right? Can't see it really well, but i'm sure it is a cutie!

·
Super Moderator
24,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #494 ·
@betta4ever! Filter Feeders I had were Vampire/African Giant Shrimp, Bamboo/Flower Shrimp and Thai Micro Crabs. The shrimp don't have claws. Instead, they have "fans" that they wave around in the water and collect micro bits and particles. The TMC collect the same on the hairs of their legs. This is a great site for pictures https://aquaticarts.com/ The TMC do not belong in community tanks because they are so small and shy. All do best in an invert/gastropod-only tank but my first Vampire Shrimp, Larry, lived for three years in a peaceful community tank with lots of places to molt without being attacked.

@KatieMR Thank you but don't sell yourself short! You impart some great information/advice. But, after five months' absence it feels good to come back and reacquaint with old friends.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I finally decided to start a journal. I thought i would start out with how I got into this hobby and what it was like early-on. I hope you enjoy my rembrances of things past.....Linda

Today’s aquarists are lucky in so many ways: Affordable aquariums, filters and heaters, a wealth of fish species from which to choose. Most have no idea how it was before any of the above. How it was before the Internet and Forums. When you had to read book by researchers and breeders or find a mentor with years of experience to glean information.

I began my aquatic adventures in 1959 when my Father used my 10th birthday as an excuse to get the aquarium he had always wanted. That birthday present cost him nearly $600 in today’s money. Now you see why he needed an excuse! As a Navy Chief Petty Officer his pay wasn’t all that great and we lived in San Diego, CA where the cost of living was high.

What did my birthday gift include? A 10 gallon Metaframe aquarium with slate bottom, gravel, a net, food, a ton of plants and three Guppies, three Mollies and three Swords…one male and two females of each. There were no affordable heaters for smaller aquariums and my brain has forgotten if it had a filter…but I don’t think so.

One of the tenants of long-ago aquaria was the “One-inch of fish per gallon of water.” This 100-year-old belief was developed when there were no filters to supply oxygen or maintain water quality. Although with today’s technology that rule no longer applies many still perpetuate it.

Speaking of plants: From the aquatic beginnings an abundance of live plants was a “must.” Even in the 1800s aquarists rightly believed that not only did live plants provide oxygen but they also maintained water quality even before the advent of filters. Ask aquatic experts and you will find many who believe some of today’s fish sicken more often than ever before because too many aquarists use maintenance-free fake plants and thus deprive their fish of the benefits live plants provide…which is why my birthday gift came with a lot of plants.

In 1959 there was no “instant cycling” bacteria. The aquarist did weekly water changes of 50% no matter how many fish were in the new tank. We didn’t lose a single fish during the “breaking in” of the aquarium as amateurs called it. As a matter of fact, we didn’t lose any of them in a cross-country trip to my Father’s final assignment in Florida. With no Interstates, if memory serves, it took a week; maybe a bit longer. Can you imagine? A week driving across country in a Nash station wagon with two kids (aged 10 and seven), a parakeet and an aquarium with nine fish?

My Mom carried two jugs for water and when we arrived at a motel she would fill the jugs. The next morning right before we left she would dip out some of the tank water and fill the tank with the water that had been setting out overnight. Back then you didn’t need “conditioners” because they didn’t add all that stuff to the water supply that they do today.

We maintained that tank until we left Florida for Tennessee in the summer of 1964. We gave it to a friend. When we reached Tennessee, we bought a 20 gallon which we kept until I left for my last two years college in 1968.
I loved your story of your experience. I had a 120 gallon with 2 Oscars in the 1980’s and I don’t remember cycling my tank,was told to add water from an established tank,no conditioner,I had well water. They were babies when I got them and ended up being mated. Occasionally they had fry. Which well let’s just say they weren’t the best parents. I had those two fish,Flotsam and Jetsam for 15-20 years. I didn’t even know what a Nitrogen Cycle was when I recently got a Betta. So crazy.

·
Registered
Mr.B, Wrangler, Primo, Omega, Susan, Julies, Jacques, Tiger, Poppy, Prince, Pepper, and Pumpkin.
626 Posts
Thank you, betta4ever!

Will set the tanks back up and add plants before adding fish or FF. Probably will restock after we return from another vacation to Montana and Wyoming in late Spring. If you ever get to the states insist on seeing Montana and the Bison Reserve. :)

View attachment 1038473
Love the crabs!

·
Super Moderator
24,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #499 ·
Haven't had fish for a year. That's about to change.

Plants from Green Leaf Aquariums are due this week. Those ordered from Aquarium Plants Factory | Premium Quality Aquatic Plants Online are waiting for Myriophyllum Tuberculatum 'Red' to be back in stock.

I prefer these two sellers because they do not have parasites, disease, snails, etc.

From GLA:
Alternanthera Reineckii
Alternanthera Reineckii Pink

Anubias Minima

Cryptocoryne Beckettii
Cryptocoryne Mioya
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Affinis Red

Lagenandra Meeboldii Red Round

Blyxia sp Red...Never had much luck with Blyxia but thought "Why not?"

From APF:
Alternanthera Rosanervig 'Mini'
Alternanthera Reineckii 'Mini'

Anubias Congensis Mini
Anubias Barteri Dark Angel
Anubias Congensis
Anubias Golden Nana
Anubias Minima
Anubias Petite

Banana Lily

Cryptocoryne Flamingo
Cryptocoryne Parva 'Mini
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green

Echinodorus Pink Miracle

Myriophyllum Tenandrum
Myriophyllum Tuberculatum 'Red'
Hornwort

Myriophyllum Mattogrossense
Myriophyllum sp. Guyana
Littorella Uniflora

Last three are in vitro; they've been hit or miss for me. I've never tried to grow tissue cultured stem plants so this will be a new experience. The Littorella Uniflora is my carpet plant..

Floating plants, moss and Subwassertang from shrimpforrest on eBay. No snails; not pests; no disease. My favorite eBay seller.

As far as fish, one 10 is divided x 2; one is divided x 2 but that may change to and be open tank. All will be community tanks as holes in dividers are large enough for Nano fish to pass through. Both will have Bettas. The third 10 gallon will be another filter feeder tank.

Bettas are in quarantine and should be here after September 12. Filter feeders won't be added until after their tank is at least four weeks cycled and stable. Meantime, one of these Betta will have an entire 10 to himself.

And that's where I am. Back to cleaning tanks and grooming Fiona and Edward Shih Tzu.

·
Super Moderator
24,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #500 ·
Oh, forgot the Bettas.

First two don't have names although I do have some ideas: Farinelli (flamboyant) or Velutti (a diva) for the first and Caffarelli (unpredictable) or Scalzi (unique) for the second.
Fin Iris Fish supply Feather Fish

Blue and Yellow DT
Beak Pet supply Phasianidae Organism Bird

Orange DT
Flower Plant Petal Organism Red

Red. He does have a slight spoon-head but I can live with it. Thought he was a DT. indjo looked noted he has a wrinkle in the middle of his caudal. So this one shall be known as "Rip Van Wrinkle."

481 - 500 of 512 Posts