Betta Fish Forum banner
501 - 512 of 512 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #504 ·
Well, I was wrong. With the GLA plants I didn't overdo it because, while they were not DOA, they were on their way to D. I have always been impressed by the health of the GLA plants and their packing. However, this time the pots were so wet I could wring water out of the medium...twice. Condensation in the bags turned the Blyxia to mush and the other leaved plants translucent. However, they gave me credit for the plants even though they weren't DOA .

I will still buy from and recommend them as this, IMO, was a fluke. They have many plants I want but Aquarium Plants Factory (my go-to) doesn't carry. Mostly well-rooted potted stem plants.

So, I have three Betta and a boatload of Pink Ramshorn Snails (a gorgeous shade of pink and the best packing I have ever seen) in nearly naked tanks. Tomorrow the Thorned Nerites, six Batik Nerites and three Blue and three Ivory Mystery Snails and the Aquarium Plants Factory order should arrive. With any luck all will be done Sunday as we're going to be gone most of the day on Saturday.

The Betta are incredible. So active and healthy. The plants from Coastal Gem are lovely and well packed.

But most important, I finally found Ceratophyllum submersum!!!!! 🥳🥳🥳🥳 Submersum is lighter and softer; goes by Tropical or Soft Hornwort. Hornwort sold in stores and online is C. demersum or "Coontail" which is darker and more harsh in its texture.

The Etsy seller had C. demersum listed. As I always do, I asked if he knew anyone who had submersum. He said he did but doesn't list it because most people want Coontail. He let me substitute the submersum. I was so excited. My three + year search has ended!

AND....he has various sizes of feeding/corral those floating plants rings. And, small Calcium blocks with Spirulina for my snails. I feel like I hit the Mother Lode. 😂

Well, enough nattering. I'll sit here and admire what plants I have and the Betta and Ramshorn Snails.

·
Super Moderator
24,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #509 ·
No feesh but some of the plants from www.aquariumplantsfactory.com. I have a planting day (or two) in store. Rip Van Wrinkle is in there exploring. Each time I dropped in a new plant he rushed over to investigate. This is a 10 gallon.
Plant Water Pet supply Aquatic plant Grass

Had to more the orange DT to half of a divided tank. He was in the one above but kept harassing the Mystery Snails. He'd poke at them until they were rolled over. One by one. Because of his bent to rain destruction on the tank he is "Maxwell Edison." I received some Horned Nerite Snails and put them in Maxwell's side of the tank. He poked them only once or twice. Now he leaves them alone.

I hate pulling snails from their travel bag; seems sorta mean. So I left the open bag in the tank so they could come out on their own. I watched Maxwell swim up into it and seem to get stuck; I kept watching and he figured out how to exit. For the next few minutes he would swim up into the bag and back out. Deadly and smart is not a good combination.😂

You think you have USPS issues? Marked on all four sides and the top. Also on the top: LIVE FISH in 56 point type. Shoved in the box so hard you can see the damage upper right. If you'd like to share this on a social platform, feel free. It's in Tennessee. If you want to also advertise the town, just send a PM.
Handwriting Motor vehicle Window Gas Font

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
No feesh but some of the plants from www.aquariumplantsfactory.com. I have a planting day (or two) in store. Rip Van Wrinkle is in there exploring. Each time I dropped in a new plant he rushed over to investigate. This is a 10 gallon.
View attachment 1046411

Had to more the orange DT to half of a divided tank. He was in the one above but kept harassing the Mystery Snails. He'd poke at them until they were rolled over. One by one. Because of his bent to rain destruction on the tank he is "Maxwell Edison." I received some Horned Nerite Snails and put them in Maxwell's side of the tank. He poked them only once or twice. Now he leaves them alone.

I hate pulling snails from their travel bag; seems sorta mean. So I left the open bag in the tank so they could come out on their own. I watched Maxwell swim up into it and seem to get stuck; I kept watching and he figured out how to exit. For the next few minutes he would swim up into the bag and back out. Deadly and smart is not a good combination.😂

You think you have USPS issues? Marked on all four sides and the top. Also on the top: LIVE FISH in 56 point type. Shoved in the box so hard you can see the damage upper right. If you'd like to share this on a social platform, feel free. It's in Tennessee. If you want to also advertise the town, just send a PM.
View attachment 1046400
Love it!!! Even unplanted the tank looks spectacular. And it makes me think I need more plants in my 10 gallon!

Hopefully Maxwell has learned that the horned nerites are friends not food. I would guess that Rip is appreciating the upgrade!

I just received notice that my little corys are in the USPS system and on their way to me. This is the nerve racking part because we too have dreadful mail service. We’re lucky we have good neighbors because we’re constantly getting each other’s mail and packages are frequently misplaced.

Can’t wait to see how everything looks when it’s done!

·
Super Moderator
24,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #511 ·
There's a saying "If you can see your Betta at a glance you don't have enough plants." I take it to heart.

Maxwell keeps stalking but he stays a healthy distance away. I wanted to open all three 10 gallons. Going to hold off on one while I assess Maxwell. May need to leave one divided and get another Betta. Oh, dear. :eek:

Rip doesn't stop moving when the lights are on. He does a lot of weaving.

I love these gorgeous, deep pink Ramshorn Snails.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Oh no!! You might have to get another betta!! The horror! 🤪

I’m always so tempted by the ramshorns but I can’t bring myself to actually getting any. I might get a mystery snail for the 10 gallon. Maybe. Or I might try a couple of the horned nerites. For the smaller tanks I currently have one nerite snail that I move around every few months.

I know my plants in the 10 gallon will fill in over time. In my other tanks I frequently loose track of my boys because they’re hunting amongst the plants. I’m just impatient for the filling in to happen!

501 - 512 of 512 Posts