Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fish has a bad case of fin rot, I dont understand how he got it. I change his water once every week. I am using maradel maracyn and also bettafix plus to treat his water right now. I've been using the maracyn for 1 day and I am now on my second day now. The maracyn inst. were kind of confusing, dont really know how much to add to a 1/2 gal betta bowl, so I added a teaspoon. Should I change his water on the 2nd day as well. I'm so confused, can someone please help me. :cry:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
You're probably overdosing on medication as far as the Maracyn goes for a 1/2 gallon tank. also, you're definitely overdosing if you're also using bettafix. Medication is harsh and you should really only use it as a last resort.

I'd say stop the betta fix completely.

Continue the maracyn treatment for it's course, but try and dose it correctly from now on. One packet of it treats 10 gallons, so premix it in a gallon jug (It'll be super-concentrated so you'll just have to use a little bit of the water to treat the whole tank). After you've mixed the meds in the 1 gallon jug, use only 1 cup to treat your 1/2 gallon tank.

Follow the directions on the back for your tank exactly as written. Just know that the treatment does for your tank is not 1 packet, but 1 cup of the medicated gallon jug.

With this method:
16 cups treats 10 gallons
8 cups treats 5 gallons
4 cups treats 2.5 gallons
2 cups treats 1.25 gallons
1 cup treats .62 gallons​

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
For future use as well, instead of jumping to medications, try changing the water more often when your betta is displaying lethargy (Not wanting to eat or being generally inactive). when you notice the symptoms, try doing an immediate 50% change.

An alternate, and much gentler, treatment for finrot is aquarium salt. The lowest treatment dose is generally 1 tsp/gal (Dissolve before use) with 100% daily water changes for 7-10 days.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts