Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I put dividers in my ten gallon so there was three sections and got a heater and filter and cycled it then decorated it.
After the cycle, i put my three male bettas in.
My other halfmoon and dragon scale are doing great but...
My baby, he shredded his tail!!
He can barely stay up for how shredded it is!
He has been in a divided tank before and you can't really see through these that much but I thought maybe the filter was too strong, even though the others had no problem with it (its for 5.5 gallon tanks) i turned it off and after he started swimming up i noticed he was biting his tail!
I'm so sad :-(
How do I fix this? What do I do? Should I remove him? The others haven't done this.
I'm not sure how old he is but I've had him for like 6 months. My first betta lived 7 years so whats wrong with him?? :-(
I love him so much and it hurts me to see him do this. He's eating normally.
It's not fin rot, I've seen it before and i saw him bite his tail :-(
Please give me advice, I'm scared for him

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Bettas tailbite because they are stressed, bored, mistake their long finnage for another betta, feel weighed down by their tail, etc. Halfmoons are especially prone to it. It takes some experimentation to figure out what works and doesn't work. Sometimes, smaller spaces help. Sometimes, larger spaces help. More decor, less decor, more stimulation, less stimulation... It's all about trial and error. Every betta is different. Just keep him in warm, clean water to prevent infection and feed him quality food and his tail should grow back. You can add some API Stress Coat too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts