Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our lovely Rainbow passed away last night. :( I believe it was just from old age. I hadn't seen any signs of other illness, other than he seemed unusually stressed after last week's water change. ( I tested the water and parameters were good.)

It took months and finally some donated filter media to get the tank to cycle, so I'd like to avoid having to try to start a brand new cycle if possible. We plan to get a new betta soon who will live in this tank. So what do I need to do to prepare the tank for the new betta? Can I keep the BB alive if I add some fish food to the tank or put in some water that I know has some ammonia in it? If I do a 100% water change and rinse the filter media in tank water would that be okay and safe for the new betta? Or do I have to remove and rinse everything in hot water?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How long would the BB be okay without a fish in there? We haven't been able to make the trip to Petco yet. It's 18 miles away.

THere were no signs of disease as far as I could tell, but he was probably close to 3 years old. Sunday night he was having some difficulties swimming, similar to how he acted after the last water change only I hadn't done anything. I thought this might be the end for him so I "said my good-byes" before going to bed. He passed on during the night sometime.

I'll at least do a 50% water change with gravel vac before adding a new fish. It was due for that anyway. If you think it's advisable in the event we don't get another fish for a couple more days, I can add a couple pellets.

Thanks for the condolences, myexplodingcat.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay.... well I went to do a 50% water change today in the fishless tank because it's possible we'll get to Petco tonight, or at least in a couple days, and there was a fine black "dust" on top of the ceramic jug/cave hideout. I don't recall ever noticing this before when doing water changes. Any thoughts on what it is? Do you think it's always been there and just never settled on top of something before because the betta swimming around kept it from settling? The sponge in the filter is a dark color. Could it be from that? I did remove it and rinse it in tank water a couple weeks ago. I hope this didn't contribute to my betta's death.

Kim - It's not a simple thing for me to "grab a bit of media from another tank" because I got the seeded filter media from someone in another state. I do have a little leftover that I didn't need, but I don't know if it's good anymore even though I've been keeping it moist.

I proceeded with the water change but am just wondering where that dust came from and if it is harmful. Thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.