Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Poppy. I got her in May and she had a deep blueish purple colour. She’s always been healthy and we maintain her tank and feed her once daily, sometimes twice. She commonly lays eggs however the other night she laid almost 100 and lost most of her colour. Her colour has been getting slightly better as we are giving her attention and maintaining her tank temp. But I’m scared there may be another reason and I just can’t find help online. Please help me. Thank you.
Plant Water Vertebrate Fish supply Pet supply

Plant Water Organism Fin Pet supply

·
Super Moderator
1,298 Posts
Hello and welcome!

I‘m sorry your Betta is not feeling well.

Did you watch her eating the eggs?

By judging from the photo, it looks like she had been eating a great amount - if not all.
So she might have an overload of Proteine.
I‘d vacuum the substrate to remove any left eggs.

Could you give us all important information about her by filling out this quick-reference form, so we won‘t miss or overlook anything:

BF Diseases & Emergencies Form

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This morning and yesterday she lost almost all her colour, we changed her tank temp and she was doing better, swimming a lot.
I noticed she was bloated tho, I ran to the store to get pees and now she’slike this, I tried moving her but she won’t swim, she’s still alive tho.
Plant Water Fish supply Pet supply Organism

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello and welcome!

I‘m sorry your Betta is not feeling well.

Did you watch her eating the eggs?

By judging from the photo, it looks like she had been eating a great amount - if not all.
So she might have an overload of Proteine.
I‘d vacuum the substrate to remove any left eggs.

Could you give us all important information about her by filling out this quick-reference form, so we won‘t miss or overlook anything:

BF Diseases & Emergencies Form
Thank you!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 1.5G
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? No, we often check the temp and adjust accordingly
What temperature is your tank? 25°C
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No, I only use almond leaves
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No, just her.

Food:
What food brand do you use? Tetra blood worms
Do you feed flakes or pellets? ^
Freeze-dried? Yes
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
1-2 times a day, a pinch each, probably a quarter teaspoon
Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Monthly
What percentage of water did you change? 100%
What is the source of your water? Tap with dechlorinator for tropical fish
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dip water and scrub with hot water
What additives do you use other than conditioner? Only what’s mentioned
What brand of conditioner? Tetra

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: N/A this section
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Two days ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? She went from rich colour to almost none, then slowly after a few hours most of her colour came back
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? She was active when losing colour but shown signs of swim bladder liked bloated ness and sitting and floating head down when regaining colour. She moves slightly but does not swim or come to the top, she stays at the bottom.
Is your Betta still eating? No not in the last 8 hours, I tried giving her a pea for swim bladder but she won’t eat.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I changed the tank after a member of this community suggested it may be due to the fact she’s been eating a lot of her eggs, which she lays normally but as of recent has been a lot. I attempted a sliver of the pea but she won’t eat. I have her and the sliver in a 350ml clear bowl I usually place her in during tank cleanings for now.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Not at all, she’s never been an active fish but we’ve had her for 5 months, she sleeps quite a bit during the day but is still active sometimes. Never lost colour before either.
How long have you owned your Betta? 5 months.
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No however she’s a pet store purchase so they wouldn’t know anyways.

·
Super Moderator
1,298 Posts
You can put her back in the tank (make sure temperatures in cup and tank are matching - otherwise float until they do).

I would just hold off with feeding until her belly goes back to normal (you should spot some poop on the gravel).

If it doesn‘t go back within the next 2 or 3 days or her behavior is not back to normal in the meantime, please let us know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts