Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

After doing some digging on the internet and asking my local fish store, I decided to ask here because I am stumped. My betta fish (his name is Elias) started molting?? 3 days ago. That is, he started looking very pale (his colors are usually very vibrant) and then yesterday he lost a scale on his head. Today, there are more scales missing and his whole face (up to about his gills) looks almost cloudy and like his scales are slowly peeling off.

I've checked the water- everything was okay (nitrates/nitrites were 0, pH-6.6, Ammonia: 0.25-0.50 ppm, KH: 80 and the GH: 30). I cleaned the gravel using a vacuum and replaced the water (after treating it) since the ammonia level wasn't zero. After rechecking the ammonia level the numbers were still the same.

His color is much better today, but his scales are still being lost. Oh- and he is in a filtered 2.5 gallon fish tank (with a baffled filter for slow flow)

Is there something that I am missing? Is he stressed? But what is the stressor? Please help!

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
The photos aren't clear but based on what I see there, your betta is neither 'molting' nor losing scales. Rather, he appears to be a marble betta that is changing color, which is perfectly normal.

Your ammonia reading, however, is not normal. And if you are truly getting readings of zero nitrates, it sounds as if your tank has not cycled.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The photos aren't clear but based on what I see there, your betta is neither 'molting' nor losing scales. Rather, he appears to be a marble betta that is changing color, which is perfectly normal.

Your ammonia reading, however, is not normal. And if you are truly getting readings of zero nitrates, it sounds as if your tank has not cycled.
So what do I do about the ammonia? Do I keep changing the water? And how does my tank 'cycle'. I don't know if this helps but I've only had the tank for about 3-4 weeks now

·
Registered
Blue
154 Posts
Here’s something that will help you with cycling. Hope it helps. 😊

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here’s something that will help you with cycling. Hope it helps. 😊

Thank you! Any information is super helpful!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts