Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Harvey, my current Betta
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this guy for about 5 months. Everything was great until a couple days ago. He has developed a huge stomach. Today I see his fins are curling at the bottom, his belly is much lighter, and he seems lighter blue in the body. He is not acting his normal self at all. The water paramers are:
pH is 7.3
Ammonia is 0
Nitrite is 0
Nitrate is 5.0
I feed him once a day, alternating between Bettagran, Bug Bites and once a week, frozen mysis shrimp. I feed small amounts of all.
I think I've given all the info. I'm attaching a couple pics. They aren't great but I think you can see his belly, his lighter blue coliring, and curling fins. Please help! Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
Titan, Mothra, Charybdis
177 Posts
Hi! I’m sorry your fishy is not feeling well. Please fill out this form to give us an idea of what might be going on with your betta. *****PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Fill out this form so...
One thing I did notice is that your betta probably isn’t eating enough. I strongly recommend feeding him at least twice a day, letting him eat what he can in about two minutes.

·
Registered
Harvey, my current Betta
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
Harvey, my current Betta
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many gallons is your tank? 2.5
Does it have a filter? No
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78.7
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
Yes. Malaysian snails
Food:
What food brand do you use? Fluval, 4/Gro, and Hikari
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Flakes (Bug Bites), pellets (Bettagran), and frozen thawed Mysis shrimp
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
Once a day, as much as he wants in a couple minutes but will increase it to 2x a day.
Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every week
What percentage of water did you change? 50% changed
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out 7? Vacuum and dip
What additives do you use other than conditioner? API Bettafix. I also have Pimafix but haven't used it with him.
What brand of conditioner? API Stress Coat and Prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5.0 ppm
pH: 7.3 , 6t
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH): 53.7 ppm

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? His swollen stomach 3 days ago; his white belly and curling fins today. Also, yesterday and today, he goes up for air more often if he's swimming around.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? He looks bloated, his fins are curling, his belly is lighter, and his body is getting lighter blue.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He's lethargic, he holds himself differently, and stays in one spot most of the time.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? About 6 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No
My computer is being repaired and I can't yet find a way to make thumbnails using my phone. I'm including 3 pics that I've cropped that are much clearer. I can see his scales ate sticking out in the one pic. I hope you can use them I will keep looking for a way to make thumbnails. Thank you;!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,087 Posts
Thanks for completing the form.

Sadly, his scales sticking out is Dropsy; usually a symptom of a bacterial infection or organ failure (kidneys).

Fast him for 2-3 days. You can also give him a bath in plain Epsom Salts. Mix one tablespoon in a gallon of treated water; making sure the ES is well dissolved and is not scented. Place him in bath for no more than 15 minutes. You can treat him with the baths for up to 10 days.

Someone else can recommend antibiotics as the only one with which I'm familiar is SeaChem Kanaplex.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts