Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I posted this a while back but I'm growing ever more concerned. I am almost positive he has septicemia, and I have confirmed that he has lymphocytosis (the tumor) and popeye....ah! My poor fish! To treat the popeye I went from doing a 50% water change every three days instead of a full one every week (although I intend to do a full water change+scrubbing all his decor on sunday).

He has SO many problems and my only clue is that all these symptoms began popping up after I found this brown slime on the sides of his tank and on his old plants (which I threw out immediately). I'm not sure what's causing the problem, I keep his water at the correct temperature and I am very diligent about water changes. Does anyone have any idea what I should be doing to treat this mishmash of problems? Here's a copy of the sticky I posted last time:

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Freeze dried bloodworms and tetrafin flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day
Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week (but now 50% every three days to help clear the popeye)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? All of it.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? See above =I
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He hasn't really shown any signs of illness at all
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About four weeks ago, I think
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nothing! I'm not sure what's going on with him
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not at all =)
How old is your fish (approximately)? About a year and a half

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a photo showing the popeye and the tumor...you can see just how BAD they are. We're not talking about any wussy illness here.

and here's a photo of what I suspect is the septicimea...I honestly don't know how the water conditions could have gotten bad enough to have caused all this. It's true I didn't notice the brown slime on the plants right away because they were a dark green already....but even so....(also, his fins aren't clamped. He was in mid-swim when I took that photo.)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Just read through your other thread...
So sorry that your little guy is ill. For the popeye, try the AQ salt treatment. That should do the trick. Don't use that "bettafix" on him. It isn't good for him.

Does the tumor seem to be giving him any trouble? Does he still eat and interact with you?
You might want to switch to pellets. They'll help keep his water cleaner and they have more nutritional value than flakes.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just read through your other thread...
So sorry that your little guy is ill. For the popeye, try the AQ salt treatment. That should do the trick. Don't use that "bettafix" on him. It isn't good for him.

Does the tumor seem to be giving him any trouble? Does he still eat and interact with you?
You might want to switch to pellets. They'll help keep his water cleaner and they have more nutritional value than flakes.
He's eating happily, swims around, and seems just fine! But his tumor has grown in just the past few days! It keeps on getting bigger and I'm getting more and more nervous. I just have no idea what to do for him...my family is struggling so much we can barely afford to feed ourselves right now, and I'm only 17, so unfortunately most treatments are over the budget and I'm scared he's going to die because of it. I feel so neglectful....but I'm sure I could scrape together enough to buy him new food at least! Such an awful predicament.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Epsom salt may work as well and you can get that at quite a few stores. Someone else may be able to tell you if it would work for popeye or not.

With the tumor... So long as it isn't causing him any trouble getting around and he's acting fine, I wouldn't think about euthanizing him yet. However, if he stops eating, it would be best to ease his suffering.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Sorry for the double post, but...

Taken from the sticky, here is the treatment for popeye:
"•Treatment: Usually not fatal if treated, but your betta might lose an eye. Conservative: If the swelling is extreme then use ES first. Perform 100% daily water changes. You may be able to treat the popeye with just Epsom and clean water. However, if the swelling goes down but the eyes remain cloudy/white, then switch to Aq.Salt at 1tsp/gal or use medications. Do not combine Aq.Salt with medications but you can continue to use ES during medical treatments. Medication: If ES or Aq.Salt do not do the trick or it is a serious case of popeye, then combine the ES with API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API General Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn."

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the double post, but...

Taken from the sticky, here is the treatment for popeye:
"•Treatment: Usually not fatal if treated, but your betta might lose an eye. Conservative: If the swelling is extreme then use ES first. Perform 100% daily water changes. You may be able to treat the popeye with just Epsom and clean water. However, if the swelling goes down but the eyes remain cloudy/white, then switch to Aq.Salt at 1tsp/gal or use medications. Do not combine Aq.Salt with medications but you can continue to use ES during medical treatments. Medication: If ES or Aq.Salt do not do the trick or it is a serious case of popeye, then combine the ES with API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API General Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn."
Do you know the general cost of maracyn? I hear a lot of people touting its powers, but I've never actually seen it in stores....

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I've never bought or used it. The only way that I have heard of getting it here in the states is to get it online. Not 100% sure though.
If you can't get your hands on it, unscented epsom salt might be enough. I certainly hope it does. He may loose an eye though. I have a betta with impaired sight and he gets by just fine though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Given that it seems he has popeye in only one eye, it's likely to be from trauma (such as bumping it against something, for example): I'd just use the epsom salt as far as that's concerned.

It would seem that if he does have lymphocytosis there's not much you can do except keep a clean tank, feed a good food, and otherwise provide proper care: it should go away on its own from what I'm finding. There's no real treatment, and mortality rate is low and usually due to secondary infections rather than the virus itself.

If, however, it's an actual tumor/cancer there's still not much you can do but take proper care of him.

I just read that the best way to deal with septicemia is to dose with Maracyn and Maracyn II at the same time as they treat the two possible infections that cause septicemia; if he hasn't always had those red streaks in his fins then it is possible he has this as well. The two Maracyn products are made by Mardel and should be available at stores that sell fish medications -- not sure where you live, but I know PetSmart has them and possibly Petco as well, or you could even see if a local place might stock or be able to order them. I believe at PetSmart an 8-pack is a little below $10 for each of these, so less than $20 all together for 8-packs of Maracyn and Maracyn II. You might be able to find them online as well, though shipping might kill you a bit on that -- I wasn't able to find any Maracyn with "free super saver shipping" on Amazon.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Given that it seems he has popeye in only one eye, it's likely to be from trauma (such as bumping it against something, for example): I'd just use the epsom salt as far as that's concerned.

It would seem that if he does have lymphocytosis there's not much you can do except keep a clean tank, feed a good food, and otherwise provide proper care: it should go away on its own from what I'm finding. There's no real treatment, and mortality rate is low and usually due to secondary infections rather than the virus itself.

If, however, it's an actual tumor/cancer there's still not much you can do but take proper care of him.

I just read that the best way to deal with septicemia is to dose with Maracyn and Maracyn II at the same time as they treat the two possible infections that cause septicemia; if he hasn't always had those red streaks in his fins then it is possible he has this as well. The two Maracyn products are made by Mardel and should be available at stores that sell fish medications -- not sure where you live, but I know PetSmart has them and possibly Petco as well, or you could even see if a local place might stock or be able to order them. I believe at PetSmart an 8-pack is a little below $10 for each of these, so less than $20 all together for 8-packs of Maracyn and Maracyn II. You might be able to find them online as well, though shipping might kill you a bit on that -- I wasn't able to find any Maracyn with "free super saver shipping" on Amazon.

The only reason I'm not positive that it's septicimea is because the green pigment on his tail began to show up about the same time the red did...but that could be a sign of something wrong too. The red looks streaky and bloody just as is described by the illness.

I can't afford to get anything online, given the shipping rates. I wish I could give him away to someone better equipped to handle these illnesses, because it looks like all I can afford at this point is clean water and aquarium salt.

I'll try to see if I can find anything at petsmart, they usually have more fish stuff than petco! Here's hoping.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Looking again at your original post...he's acting his normal self? If so, I believe septicemia comes with lethargy and decreased appetite. If this is the case then, given what you said about the green showing at the same time, I'd err on the possibility of it being color changes. If that's been going on for a while too, I'd definitely think of it as his coloration changing.

PetSmart does have both Maracyn products, but if the above is true then you don't need them, and especially no sense getting them if you don't have the money. PetSmart does have AQ salt, but that's not what you need: you need Epsom salt. You can buy that at most any drug store for a few bucks or so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts