Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a betta from my lfs yesterday and was wondering if my betta should look like this... it has brown spots on its head and has curled scruffy fins. It is very active and eats all the food i give it. I have fed it Bettamin tropical medley (flakes). My tank size is 3 gallons (12 Litres). I have a hob filter with a sponge in it to reduce the rate of intake, it is also heated. Should I be taking the betta back? Also what do you think of the betta (appearance)?

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
I *think* I was told the curled fins are from hard water. Not 100% though. As for the dark coloring on his head I don't know. I'm still learning, but I'm sure someone here will have more info for you!

·
Registered
3,664 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick feed back and yes i have a heater, im just hoping everything will get better and his colours will become more vibrant.. One more thing can anybody tell me an estimate of the age?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help i was getting a little worried ill put up another picture next week

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If i use rainwater will that be soft?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh ok does this mean its tail will stop growing then? or will it grow it a weird direction from now on?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read that rainwater would be good because it is soft since it has no minerals disolved in it. is this correct?

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
But curling of existing non damaged fins is the work of hard water :O
I wish there was reasearch on this... but it tends to make the fins stiffer and less flowly...
and damaged fins healing in hard water just grows back plain funny XD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.