·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flower Plant Water Green Rectangle
Paint Organism Art Marine invertebrates Rectangle
Liquid Bottle Ingredient Fluid Solution
Flower Plant Water Green Rectangle Paint Organism Art Marine invertebrates Rectangle Liquid Bottle Ingredient Fluid Solution Flower Plant Water Green Rectangle
Botany Textile Paint Interior design Vegetation

Rho has fin rot is on meds and aquarium water. Eats every other day a few pellets. I changed his water yesterday and added oxygen bubbles but it was too much so I stopped it. He ate yesterday.
Fluid Ingredient Liquid Food Gas

Paint Organism Art Marine invertebrates Rectangle
Liquid Bottle Ingredient Fluid Solution
Flower Plant Water Green Rectangle Paint Organism Art Marine invertebrates Rectangle Liquid Bottle Ingredient Fluid Solution Flower Plant Water Green Rectangle
Botany Textile Paint Interior design Vegetation

·
Registered
Neptune, Venus, Blush, Tinty, & Pinky.
1,404 Posts
Hello, sorry your betta is not doing well. Can you please fill out the emergency template?

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2.5
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? No
What temperature is your tank? 71-75
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Snail

Food:
What food brand do you use? Dry
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? Every other day recently as of last weekend prior daily. How much? That red betta spoon in photo by food.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 2-4x weekly at first, when he got fin rot every other day now with fin rot every other day.
What percentage of water did you change? 80-90%
What is the source of your water? Purified Aquarium water.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Both
What additives do you use other than conditioner? Quick start
What brand of conditioner?
Liquid Bottle Drinkware Solution Bottle cap

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.
High Range PH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.6
Hardness (GH): ?
Alkalinity (KH): ?

Symptoms and Treatment: lethargic and grey
When did you first notice the symptoms? Yesterday
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Same
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Yes, little to no movement
Is your Betta still eating? No
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Yes, last week for fin rot
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 5 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? I don’t think so

Liquid Blue Paint Fluid Cosmetics
Liquid Paint Solution Cosmetics Fluid

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2.5
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? No
What temperature is your tank? 71-75
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Snail

Food:
What food brand do you use? Dry
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? Every other day recently as of last weekend prior daily. How much? That red betta spoon in photo by food.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 2-4x weekly at first, when he got fin rot every other day now with fin rot every other day.
What percentage of water did you change? 80-90%
What is the source of your water? Purified Aquarium water.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Both
What additives do you use other than conditioner? Quick start
What brand of conditioner? View attachment 1034545

Water Parameters:
High Range PH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.6
Hardness (GH): ?
Alkalinity (KH): ?

Symptoms and Treatment: lethargic and grey
When did you first notice the symptoms? Yesterday
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Same
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Yes, little to no movement
Is your Betta still eating? No
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Yes, last week for fin rot
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 5 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? I don’t think so

View attachment 1034543 View attachment 1034544
I just gave him Stress coat API one drop from bottle.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ok, so, I'd recommend feeding him everyday and maybe get some extra nutritious food for him such as frozen bloodworms. extra food can give them the energy needed for their body to heal.

Second, please get him a heater!!! all bettas i've owned immediately spruce up and heal way faster in warm water. 76-78 is good for when the fish isn't sick, and 78-80 when the fish is. Colder water can slow their metabolism which makes them heal slower.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so, I'd recommend feeding him everyday and maybe get some extra nutritious food for him such as frozen bloodworms. extra food can give them the energy needed for their body to heal.

Second, please get him a heater!!! all bettas i've owned immediately spruce up and heal way faster in warm water. 76-78 is good for when the fish isn't sick, and 78-80 when the fish is. Colder water can slow their metabolism which makes them heal slower.
I saw a YouTube video for fin rot to keep temperature at 75 and add Melafix and Aquarium Salt with a daily to two day water change. Now, I feel bad for Rho 😞.

I really appreciate all responses and thank you gor the quick replies.

·
Super Moderator
705 Posts
You didn‘t do anything wrong - don‘t worry.

There‘s nothing wrong with using -fix medications. It‘s anecdotal reporting of issues where it‘s not clear how the medication was dosed and in which condition the Bettas had been already.
Research on -fix medication

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: he made through the night. I’m going to get him a heater and different variety of food today. Thanks again for your responses very much appreciated
Plant Botany Organism Terrestrial plant Flower

·
Super Moderator
705 Posts
Good to read!

As thermometers are often not showing the accurate temperature you might also invest in a regular kitchen thermometer and dedicate it only to your tank.

It will also help tremendously when preparing the water for partial water changes.

·
Super Moderator
1,402 Posts
A couple things. First, he does not have fin rot. He seems to have been nipping or has some slight décor damage. With such exaggerated fins it is not uncommon for them to become frayed at the ends. If it were my fish, I would stop both the salt and the melafix. If you can get some Indian almond leaf to put in there, that would be great. It has antibacterial and anti fungal properties but it is also calming to them which may help with nipping.

Second, I agree with the recommendation to feed him every day and get him a better quality food. I use north fin betta bits and they are the same price as most of the foods at the pet store. Other good ones are omega one and new life spectrum. I would also agree with the recommendation for a heater. He does not have fin rot so no need to adjust the temp, but just to add that fin rot is a bacterial infection that does not live in the tank itself like a parasite. Adjusting the heat, in my opinion would only slow down the fish's metabolism and make it harder for them to fight such an infection.

Third, a 2.5 gallon tank needs a 30-50% water change twice a week. If his tank was not changed for 2-4 weeks and then 90% was changed he may be experiencing some parameter shock. The ammonia in a 2.5 tank after 4 weeks would be very high and changing the water so drastically is quite hard on him.

My recommendation to you would be to stop the meds, feed him more often and better quality food, get a heater and clean the tank twice a week. You will likely see a difference quite quickly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I bought Rho a heater I need to get him food the PetSmart didn’t have a good selection so I need to go to Petco, Walmart, or Target.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought Rho a heater I need to get him food the PetSmart didn’t have a good selection so I need to go to Petco, Walmart, or Target.
I found food for Rho he is doing better today. I stopped the meds and aquarium salt. I did a 35%water change.
On another note, I am grateful to have found this forum as I have tried looking for a exotic vet in my area and beyond but was unable to find one. You have helped save Rho along with prayers. Again, Thank you
Tin Beverage can Aluminum can Tire Drink
Water Vertebrate Liquid Beak Rodent

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I lost Rho today. It was too much for him😞 I’m going to take him to my Petco to dispose his remains humanly. I put him in a ziplock bag with water to freeze then will take him to be disposed humanly.

·
Registered
Neptune, Venus, Blush, Tinty, & Pinky.
1,404 Posts
I lost Rho today. It was too much for him😞 I’m going to take him to my Petco to dispose his remains humanly. I put him in a ziplock bag with water to freeze then will take him to be disposed humanly.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Rho was a beautiful boy. 💕 :cry:

Reactions: Nyett
1 - 16 of 16 Posts