Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new, I always get info for my betta off this website, so I thought id ask for some advice. :(

I noticed probably 2 weeks ago that my betta, Galaxy, was floating on his side a bit. I then noticed any time he'd swim down, he would float back up! I was confused so I looked on this website. All symptoms pointed to SBD. So I fasted him for 4 days, and then tried feeding him a pea, but he won't eat it!:( and nothing has helped.

I'm really scared because he is my baby and I really don't want him to die. :(

I usually fed him 2 pellets a day of Wardley betta food. I haven't been lately because I've been trying to get him better. :(

Someone please help?!!!!!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If you can fill this out as best you can it will really help narrow down if it's something else and what other treatment can be done.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? Appx. 75-80...? I have a heater so I don't really check.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? A underwater snail, Gary. :) (or the only thing he'd get along with)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Wardleys
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets everyday. (I know this is too much, I didn't know.)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Appx. Once every 2 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner and colony nitrifying bacteria

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/a

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? A couple white spots on his body, swollen tummy, floating up to top (can't really swim to the bottom) and floats on side.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? More calm, doesn't move as much.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Tried fasting and feeding him a pea after 3 days, and he wouldn't eat the pea. Today I'm trying putting salt from the pet store in my tank.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Less than 2 years.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You should get a thermometer so you can see what the temperature is and how well your heater is keeping the water stable.

You should probably be doing a 100% change and a 50% in a week rather than one 100% change every two weeks. You're not feeding him too much so I don't think constipation is the issue. I'd guess water conditions are probably his biggest issue right now. Snails have a huge bioload, they're ridiculously messy.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
To help him get rid of whatever's in his system making him floatey, you can add Epsom Salts to the tank. 1tsp/gal.

Mix up a concentrate in heated tank water, and slowly add this to the tank. Over the course of about 2 hours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts