1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? - 8 gallons
What temperature is your tank? - 78F
Does your tank have a filter? - Yes (turning on few hour per day)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? - Yes
Is your tank heated? - Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? - None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? - Freeze Dried Black Worms, pellets “betta bio-gold)
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times per day small peace

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2 per week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% - 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat/Vita chem

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.2
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Very passive
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Didn’t give him food 2 days and gave him green peas.
Repeated twice
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes here is thread (he had severe fin rot and recover, but I had to treat him about 3 months
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=267282

How old is your fish (approximately)? I have him since August, not sure how old he was when I got him

Hello,
I am here again and I need help. My Betta had severe fin rot, here is his thread back in September 2013: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=267282
He was sick about 3 months and I did give him a lot of medicine and salt and after all he did survive. I started to give his Freeze dried black worms which I got from my Discus Fish. I believe this high protein food helped him to recover. His fin grew back so fast and he loved it (food)!
We went on vacations and when I came back he was not like him any more. My friend came and feed him 2 times during one week.
My Betta was sitting at the bottom of the fish tank and was not so active as usual. He was not very active anyway, but now even worse, and he was laying on his side a bit. He has a lump on one side of his body and I thought he is constipated. So I didn’t feed him for 2 days, gave him green peas and he seemed to swim more, but back to his side laying on the bottom or sometime he sits on leaf closer to surface. I repeated green peas treatment twice, he loves green peas and he is swimming like crazy to get it! Anyway, he still sits at the bottom most of the times. Sometimes looks like he is burping, he opens his mouth and it looks like something stuck in his throat.
Please help! How can I know if it’s swim bladder problem, constipation or something else? He did lose some color too

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
His fins have healed up nicely! He looks great now! :) But it looks like he has a mild swim bladder problem now....

Do you have any Epsom salt? It's also sold as: magnesium sulfate or magnesium sulfate heptahydrate. Depending on your location, it may also be spelled sulphate. It's used as a laxative for people, so you can usually get it at a supermarket or pharmacy.

Epsom salt can help with fluid retention, constipation and buoyancy issues. I would add some directly to the tank, and see if it helps him.

1) Put some tank water into a cup.
2) Stir in 4 teaspoons Epsom salt. Keep stirring until it's completely dissolved.
3) Pour the solution back into the tank.

This will provide a dosage of 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt per gallon.

Then when you do water changes, stir in 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt into each gallon of new water. Add conditioner. Use this to do your partial water changes.

Epsom salt is safe to use with plants (if you have these).

It can take several days to have an effect. So you may need to wait for a few days to know if it's helping.

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for reply!

I wonder how many days I can do it? I know that aquarium salt no more than 10 days, what about Epsom salt?

he still is not so active :(

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
His fins have healed up nicely! He looks great now! :) But it looks like he has a mild swim bladder problem now....

Do you have any Epsom salt? It's also sold as: magnesium sulfate or magnesium sulfate heptahydrate. Depending on your location, it may also be spelled sulphate. It's used as a laxative for people, so you can usually get it at a supermarket or pharmacy.

Epsom salt can help with fluid retention, constipation and buoyancy issues. I would add some directly to the tank, and see if it helps him.

1) Put some tank water into a cup.
2) Stir in 4 teaspoons Epsom salt. Keep stirring until it's completely dissolved.
3) Pour the solution back into the tank.

This will provide a dosage of 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt per gallon.

Then when you do water changes, stir in 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt into each gallon of new water. Add conditioner. Use this to do your partial water changes.

Epsom salt is safe to use with plants (if you have these).

It can take several days to have an effect. So you may need to wait for a few days to know if it's helping.

Keep us updated!
I agree with this 100%. Epsom Salt works WONDERS. My girl had a swim bladder problem a while back and this stuff works wonders.

I would advise against feeding him a pea. Betta's are carnivores so they don't have the digestive track to digest plant protein. What ends up happening is the pea travels through the track in one whole chunk and can tear the lining of his digestive track. If you can find frozen daphnia then feed him that. I found mine at a LFS, although some people have said that they found it at petco/petsmart.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
You can use Epsom salt (especially at this low dosage) for a pretty long time.

I would stop giving him peas and freeze-dried foods. Just feed him the pellets for now.

Freeze-dried foods can cause constipation. This can lead to bloating, and then buoyancy problems. As for peas, there's a lot of controversy about feeding them to Bettas. So for now, I would avoid giving them to him.

You can also try giving him frozen daphnia, as VivianKJean said. But I'm not sure if you can get them in your area. (Don't use freeze-dried. It needs to be either fresh or frozen.)

But if this was my fish, I would just try the Epsom salt right now. Try adding it to his tank, then give it 3 or 4 days to work. Keep us updated. Tell us if he gets better, or worse, or stays the same.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts

I would stop giving him peas and freeze-dried foods. Just feed him the pellets for now.

Freeze-dried foods can cause constipation. This can lead to bloating, and then buoyancy problems. As for peas, there's a lot of controversy about feeding them to Bettas. So for now, I would avoid giving them to him.

You can also try giving him frozen daphnia, as VivianKJean said. But I'm not sure if you can get them in your area. (Don't use freeze-dried. It needs to be either fresh or frozen.)

But if this was my fish, I would just try the Epsom salt right now. Try adding it to his tank, then give it 3 or 4 days to work. Keep us updated. Tell us if he gets better, or worse, or stays the same.
I agree. frozen daphnia is very hard to find. I ended up calling around 5 or 6 LFS until I found one that carried it regularly. If you can find it, then great. But it's fine if you can't.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Off topic, but why do you only turn your filter on for a few hours per day?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

He still not as active, but when he thinks food is coming - he swims like healthy fish :)
I soak pellets in vita chem.. hope to get into him some vitamins

What about water changes? how often and how much should I change the water?

Thank you so much for responce

·
Registered
6,727 Posts

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
I'd still use the Epsom salt for a few days. It's a low dosage, and it's a gentle treatment. Epsom salt is used as a laxative for people, too.

As for the frozen food, the product sounds fine to me. I'd say you could go ahead and feed him some of it. It has lots of good proteins and some vitamins.

VitaChem is a good product too. You're doing a great job caring for him!

As for water changes, he is by himself in an 8 gallon tank, but you only use the filter for a few hours per day, right? If so, you can keep doing your two 25-30% water changes per week. Or if it's easier for you, do one 50-60% change per week. Also, each month, do one slightly larger change to remove any built up bacteria or wastes.

Summary of my recommendations so far:
- Stop feeding him freeze-dried foods and peas
- Use Epsom salt at a dosage of 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt per gallon for 3 or 4 days.
- Keep using the VitaChem
- Feed him some of the frozen food mixture, if you'd like.

Keep us updated on how he's doing!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you so much for advice. I will keep you posted. So far he still doesn't look better. But seems he swimed a bit longer when he saw me today. I am so attached to this guy don't know why :)? He is cool!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Bakerina!

Do you have any updates on your betta fish that was experiencing these symptoms? What happened to him? Mine is giving the exact same issues and he isn't looking too good at all. He stays at the bottom on his side constantly, and I don't know what to do for him any longer :( I've been trying the Epsom salt treatment, as well as a general cure treatment, but to no avail. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He is still alive :)

Hi, it takes time to fix this problem.
Do epsom salt for long time actually. My problem I was overfeeding him, besides that I gave to him dry freezed warms, it helped with fin rot ( has a lot of protein), but it cauzed another problem. He is still alive. Just not 100%, he eats, sweams, do everything as usuall, just when he stops his head going upo and tail down.. but he sleeps that way now. I have him over a year now and he went through a lot of probmels..
Don't give up!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts