Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was gifted my betta Herbie about two weeks ago. I was not fully prepared, but I can manage with what I have. The person who gifted me Herbie bought him from a fish store that I’ve had issues with in the past, but so far everything seems to be good with Herbie except one thing: he doesn’t eat. I’ve offered him pellets, blood worms, daphnia, and mysis, and he hasn’t eaten anything. I’ve tried almost everything I’ve researched, but nothing so far has worked. He’s nearing the two week mark for starvation, and I’m really scared. I really don’t want him to die.

How many gallons is your tank? 5 gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 25 C
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Yes
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? About 3-5 pellets a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? I have not had him for long, so I have not done a regular water change yet.
What percentage of water did you change? 25%, but I did a 100% water change before I put him in the tank.
What is the source of your water? Filtered water from my fridge.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Both
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?
Imagitarium water conditioner. No other additives.
Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):
I do not have time to test at the moment, but I will update once I do.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? When he arrived.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? His color has gotten brighter.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? I have not had him for long, so I can’t tell if it has changed.
Is your Betta still eating? No
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I gave him some time to adjust to his new surroundings, but I have placed him in a quarantine tank just in case.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? I don’t know
How long have you owned your Betta? Will be about two weeks soon.
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

Attachments

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,451 Posts
First, there's no need to worry; two weeks is not a "starvation" point. We've been gone 4-5 weeks and nobody died. It's that normally it can take up to two weeks for them to realize what you are using food.

What pellets are you feeding? Stick to just that one; stop all of the rest. Soak a pellet in a bit of garlic juice. Offer and see if he'll eat. If he doesn't, remove and wait a few hours to try again.

Oh, and even if they take a pellet and spit it back out they are getting nutrition. Those tiny teeth scrape a bit as they are rolling food around in their mouths.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was gifted my betta Herbie about two weeks ago. I was not fully prepared, but I can manage with what I have. The person who gifted me Herbie bought him from a fish store that I’ve had issues with in the past, but so far everything seems to be good with Herbie except one thing: he doesn’t eat. I’ve offered him pellets, blood worms, daphnia, and mysis, and he hasn’t eaten anything. I’ve tried almost everything I’ve researched, but nothing so far has worked. He’s nearing the two week mark for starvation, and I’m really scared. I really don’t want him to die.

How many gallons is your tank? 5 gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 25 C
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Yes
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? About 3-5 pellets a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? I have not had him for long, so I have not done a regular water change yet.
What percentage of water did you change? 25%, but I did a 100% water change before I put him in the tank.
What is the source of your water? Filtered water from my fridge.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Both
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?
Imagitarium water conditioner. No other additives.
Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):
I do not have time to test at the moment, but I will update once I do.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? When he arrived.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? His color has gotten brighter.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? I have not had him for long, so I can’t tell if it has changed.
Is your Betta still eating? No
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I gave him some time to adjust to his new surroundings, but I have placed him in a quarantine tank just in case.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? I don’t know
How long have you owned your Betta? Will be about two weeks soon.
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No
Update: HE FINALLY ATE!!!! I was doing his first water change, so I decided to try to feed him one more time. I took my time, introduced him to the feeding wand, and dropped the pellet. I was about to move on when I glanced at him and saw him chewing it!! It looks like he recognizes it once it’s old, so I’ll have to train him to recognize it once I drop it. But I now know he eats, so the hard part is over!

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
565 Posts
That's great! Do you happen to know the water parameters yet? If not, you can take it to a petstore and they will test it for you. Ask for specifics though (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) as sometimes they will just say it is "fine", even if it is not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts