Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I am new at taking care of betta and I need some help. I got a betta for an experiment at my school where we have to keep a closed-off ecosystem alive for two weeks without any interaction. So he was sitting in the same water for two weeks, but he lived. I brought him home, got him in a new bowl with a new plant, and he seemed to be very happy!
A week ago, I noticed that his fins were fraying and then some cotton stuff was forming on them too. I concluded that it was a fungus and fin rot. I treated his possible fungus with API Fungus Care. After the treatment was done I put him back into his original bowl, but with no plant because we need to get another.
Today is the second day after the Fungus treatment and he is in fresh water, I woke up and saw that there are long white strings hanging off all of his fins. He hasn't seemed to notice at all and he greeted me like always. Please I don't know what it is and I need to treat him soon.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
That'll probably be his slime coat shedding off... Not anything deadly in itself, it's sort of like how our skin peels off after a sunburn - the peeling is a symptom of something irritating our skin. Might just be the result of two weeks in mucky water, then exposure to the fungus cure (meds can be harsh on the fish, though necessary as they sometimes are).

So I guess, I'll ask a few questions and we'll see what might be bothering him:

- Do you have a heater?
- What temp is the tank water?
- What dechlorinator are you using?
- What size tank is he in, and how often do you change the water?
- How do you go about changing his water? Like, what's the steps of your routine?
- What are you feeding him, and how much?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
- Do you have a heater? No I don't
- What temp is the tank water? The water is room temp which is usually75 degrees
- What dechlorinator are you using? I use Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner
- What size tank is he in, and how often do you change the water? He's in about a gallon size bowl, and I do a full water change every week.
- How do you go about changing his water? Like, what's the steps of your routine? I use a net to place him in a small bowl. Then I dump the water from the tank and rinse it with warm water. I rinse the rocks off and then fill it back up with already conditioned water. Finally, I put him back in with a net.
- What are you feeding him, and how much? I am feeding him pellets about once per day and he usually only eats four, even though I put in six.

·
Registered
212 Posts
it didn't come up

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
It sounds to me like you're doing pretty much everything right.. I'd up the water changes to add a half-change midweek to help cut down the ammonia.. Really clean water is the best way to promote health. Maybe some super high protein or live foods would help him heal a bit faster, too.

Other than that, all I can think to suggest is giving him time to heal, in a stress-free environment, where possible. It could take him a little time to come 100% good.

eta: also, to cut down on ammonia -- if he only eats four, perhaps try feeding him -three- (bettas usually over-eat). Feeding extra/all they can eat is unnecessary and just causes extra ammonia (and occasionally, bloat).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts