Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2 pellets twice a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Monthly
What percentage of water did you change? 100%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Rinse
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Top Fin Betta conditioner

Water Parameters: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 6 days ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Yes, it has a white spot on it's side
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Yes, using Betta Fix since I noticed the white spot, but it doesn't seem to be getting better. Have been using for 6 days.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? Since April 2021
Was he or she ill or suffering some so
rt of damage when purchased? No
Water Plant Vertebrate Flower Nature

·
Registered
60 litres with 2 blue rams, my cat!
3,844 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for filling out the form. Your boy is handsome. The white spot looks like him just changing colors. He appears to have fin rot, imo, but there is a chance it could be fin bitting. To treat it I'd add some catapa leaves or plain rooibos tea and do 50% water changes twice a week. 100% water changes are never good for fish. A 50% water changes is the max I'd do if my fish was not sick. I usually do 25% once a week. Rinsing the substrate is also not good, as it removes the benefitical bacteria that live on the substrate. You can get a vacuum cleaner at your lfs and they're not too expensive. Food wise, 4 pellets a day is not enough for a Betta. I feed atleast 10 pellets to my Bettas. 3 to 4 pellets three times a day should be good. Also, here's an article for Melafix ( melafix is the same as bettafix) Melafix Dangers; Betta, Labyrinth Fish, Pencil Fish After reading this, I'm honestly too scared to use it, and if I were you, I'd stop using it and try water changes and ials instead.

·
Super Moderator
24,372 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I agree, color change and need for more food. I also agree there's a possibility of fin rot. Can you get a photo of him flaring or out in the open? Once you start treatment, you may see clear or white edges on his fins. This is new tissue forming.

With a 10 gallon aquarium one or two 25% water changes and vacuum per week should be enough to treat fin rot. The plain Rooibos Tea and Indian Almond Leaves have mild antibacterial and antifungal properties. You want the water to be dark. If floating either doesn't turn it at least the color below (darker is better), brew a strong tea; let steep for a few hours; add conditioner and pour what's needed into his tank. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator.
Flower Plant Nature Leaf Sunlight

All the information from @betta4ever! is spot on. However, I will agree to disagree with the interpretation of the linked article. ;)

Dr. Strohmeyer notes, there is no unbiased proof that the "fix" meds are dangerous to labyrinth fish....except if one has extremely acidic water but that's combined with other water chemistry issues like KH and GH. With the oils refined out of them, they are water soluble and cannot coat the labyrinth organ. They are all mild medicines used for gram positive infections. They are useless on gram negative like Columnaris.

You should not be afraid to use any of the "fix" meds.

BTW, most pet stores with check parameters for free. Take in a sample before you do a water change for the most accurate readings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

I agree, color change and need for more food. I also agree there's a possibility of fin rot. Can you get a photo of him flaring or out in the open? Once you start treatment, you may see clear or white edges on his fins. This is new tissue forming.

With a 10 gallon aquarium one or two 25% water changes and vacuum per week should be enough to treat fin rot. The plain Rooibos Tea and Indian Almond Leaves have mild antibacterial and antifungal properties. You want the water to be dark. If floating either doesn't turn it at least the color below (darker is better), brew a strong tea; let steep for a few hours; add conditioner and pour what's needed into his tank. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator.
View attachment 1045265
All the information from @betta4ever! is spot on. However, I will agree to disagree with the interpretation of the linked article. ;)

Dr. Strohmeyer notes, there is no unbiased proof that the "fix" meds are dangerous to labyrinth fish....except if one has extremely acidic water but that's combined with other water chemistry issues like KH and GH. With the oils refined out of them, they are water soluble and cannot coat the labyrinth organ. They are all mild medicines used for gram positive infections. They are useless on gram negative like Columnaris.

You should not be afraid to use any of the "fix" meds.

BTW, most pet stores with check parameters for free. Take in a sample before you do a water change for the most accurate readings.
Azure Purple Organism Beak Art
here is another pic of him

·
Super Moderator
24,372 Posts
He's quite handsome! So vibrant!

I believe if you use the IAL or Rooibos and do water changes he will fine. Clean water is the best way to treat fin biting or fin rot.

Seachem - StressGuard is my go-to when a fish has bitten its fins. Must dose daily as it evaporates in 24 hours.

Here's something that will help you CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial. Once his tank is cycled, one 25% water change every other week for a 10 gallon will suffice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts