Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

My betta Leo has just recently started spitting out his pellets I've been feeding him for months. I was feeding him omega one betta buffet pellets and all was well but this morning he spit out his pellets and again tonight. I switched him into a ten gallon tank by himself a few days ago because he's been tail biting and got some White Cloud Mountain minnows and a ghost shrimp added in there. Could it be stress related? I fed him some frozen daphnia last night(after I put the other fish in) and he was fine but today he won't eat his pellets. What should. I do?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Blue did that too, when we changed his food from pellets to bloodworms... Maybe he found other fishy food yummier?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I do not recommend having your fish's diet be entirely bloodworms. Its like eating mcdonalds every day! The best thing to do is to do a mix of food.
Have you tried brine shrimp? you can buy both freezedried and frozen. Try those.
Another thing to do is just wait it out. A healthy fish won't let itself stave to death.
Try to feed him the pellets each day, just make sure you remove any uneaten food with a turkey baster or something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We are going to have to get him new food, I just assumed it was okay. I don't feed him a lot, but he absolutely refuses pellet food when we started sprinkling bloodworms in there, so we just fed him a couple pieces a day. He doesn't look fat though, I will have to go get him new food when I get one of those bubbly wands tomorrow.

If you could recommend me one, the current one I have is Aqueous Betta Food so you should probably stay away from that one.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Omega One or New Life Spectrum are best high quality pellets. You could also try brine shrimp. They come either freezedried or frozen. When I do feed my babies brine shrimp I use frozen but I used to use freezedried.
I do still give them bloodworms once a week as a treat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to feed mine the aqueon pellets but I stopped. There is way too much grain in them. I would suggest omega one my other two fish love them. I know you can get them at petsmart.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My boy has been doing the same thing, and now only tries to eat the cory cats shrimp pellets. -n- I'm trying other brands of food to see if he'll like those more haha. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know my friend has some frozen blood worms so ill try to get some from her. I'm a little hesitant about freeze dried food though. Hes had swim bladder quite a few times and I know at least one is because I used to give him freeze dried bloodworms. I think he just had an internal bacterial infection because I treated him for that and he hasn't had SBD since but I don't really want to risk it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I still had some of the old aqueon pellets which I know aren't great but I was trying to get him to eat something and he did the same thing. Ill try some daphnia tonigh or bloodworms if I can get some

·
Registered
113 Posts
He could be stressed from the move to the 10g and adjusting too. (I know mine is a picky butt since he is still eating the shrimp pellets)

If he doesn't eat in a week or two I would be worried that it could be a disease.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I gave him some daphnia tonight and he ate it so I think he's just being picky.

The biggest sign if SBD is that they're sinking or floating and that they're belly looks really big. Mine ended up shedding his stress coat which made the water orange too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts