Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my 10 gallon going and I put my female betta in with 2 ADFs. I feed the frogs from a terra-cotta pot holder so that they don't make a mess, but my betta keeps eating a lot of the food. It's really bad for her to eat so much, but I don't know how to stop her.

I was thinking about taking her out and putting her in a little bucket for an hour every time I feed the frogs, but I don't want to stress her out too much. Is there anything better I can do to stop her?

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
I don't know much about ADFs, but if they are active at night, maybe you can try feeding them after you turn the tank lights off and waiting until the betta goes to sleep?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She doesn't go to sleep. I fed them after I turned the lights off, but there's still enough light for her to see and she goes strait to the food. Are there any in cage containers that I could trap her in for a little but that sit in the cage and have holes for fresh water flow? I think I heard about 1 somewhere but I can't remember.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know that they have little cages that just float in the tank for females fishes when they give birth, but I'm not sure if that'll stress your betta out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
She doesn't go to sleep. I fed them after I turned the lights off, but there's still enough light for her to see and she goes strait to the food. Are there any in cage containers that I could trap her in for a little but that sit in the cage and have holes for fresh water flow? I think I heard about 1 somewhere but I can't remember.
petco has them, I currently have my betta there cuz he does not want to eat and I do have him with 9 neons and they eat everything I put for him, so yes I am one of those that get him into his little thing and feed him, currently I am waiting for him to eat. I got all the 3 top brands and he is just not having it. I guess I got enough for his whole life. shish... $40 bucks on food... lucky guy :p

·
Registered
109 Posts
petco has them, I currently have my betta there cuz he does not want to eat and I do have him with 9 neons and they eat everything I put for him, so yes I am one of those that get him into his little thing and feed him, currently I am waiting for him to eat. I got all the 3 top brands and he is just not having it. I guess I got enough for his whole life. shish... $40 bucks on food... lucky guy :p
What are they called? Like the product from petco.

·
Registered
490 Posts
There is a very easy solution!

Watch this short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Grx0iuqBs

Basically, you net your ADF every time it's feeding time, keeping him in the water but in the net. This will keep him separate from your Betta and have his food in one small area so he can easily find it. Your ADF will eventually learn that net = food so he will come out when you put the net in, as seen in the video.

I did this with my ADF and he had no trouble eating his food this way.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a really good idea and thanks for the video. I think I will try it tonight with a few bloodworms and see how it goes.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried feeding my ADF with the net and it worked out great. She got lots of food and the cage didn't get dirty and my betta didn't overeat. How many times do you think I should feed my ADFs a day? Would once a day be enough since it takes kind of a long time and I don't have time in the morning before school?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts