Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a small log in my tank I got from Amazon.

The log actually scraped my fish's side and took off a few tail fins. He is still slowly recovering from his injuries..poor guy. It's out of my tank but my fish seemed to love it.

I now only have a betta hammock and a silk plant in the tank. He seems bored!

Any suggestions I can put into his tank that will not shred him? or any DIY toys?!

·
Registered
295 Posts
You can feel around the betta log to look for sharp edges so that you can sandpaper it down. I never had a problem with betta logs. You can also move your decorations around every so often and he'll spend his time exploring his "new" digs.

Also, some bettas can be trained to jump, go through hoops, etc. Not all bettas are that food motivated though and you don't want to overfeed them either.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
* Small, new terracotta pots (close the hole at the bottom with some aquarium safe silicone or bury it into the substrate so your fish does not get stuck in it)

* coconut halves as caves

* driftwood (it might stain the water for a while, Mopani wood especially has a lot of staining)

* live plants (Java Fern, Java Moss, Vallisneria, Anubia, Crypts, they all do well even in low lighting) Vallisneria looks like long grass and your fish will love swimming through the long leaves, Java Fern reproduce quite well and you can have little plantlets forming on the end of the leaves giving you more plants over time...Watersprite and Waterwisteria are also very good choices, you can float them on the water, Bettas love floating plants.

* rocks scattered on the substrate can add visual interest.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I find some bettas also like looking at stuff outside the tank. Maybe lean a deck of cards, colourful book, or anything really, up against the outside of the tank.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I use silk plants, plastic mesh tubes I threaded with fishing string to tie it together (they have a lot of holes), and I use a very smooth clay tube from ebay under aquarium or fish decorations. Everything from the store peeled and hurt my fish, been through enough of that.

·
Registered
780 Posts
My bettas seem to love live plants! Anubius and Java Fern can work with a basic light, and possibly Hornwort it Water Sprite.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts