Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My betta fish was moved into his new tank after being in a cup from the pet store. I’ve noticed that he’s becoming bloated. He was fed earlier today in his cup before being moved into the new tank, and I’m not sure if the water temperature change caused constipation or shock.
The heater is not the best and although we used a thermometer to check and it’s at a decent temperature range, I worry it might not be the best. The water is tap but it was conditioned and filtered overnight to make sure It’s clean.
We tried feeding him with a couple pellets to check if he’d eat, I think he tried to but they were swept up into the filter and he forgot about them quickly.
His names Anakin and he’s a half moon betta who I got yesterday. He’s in a 2 gallon tank (I know it’s not the best, it’s a bedroom tank and I had to fight my mom who insists she knows everything about bettas, and surprise surprise she really does not) with a heater which I’m still skeptical of.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 70-78° F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? N/A

Food:
What food brand do you use? Top Fin
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 4 Pellets twice daily was the plan. However we haven’t gotten him onto a consistent schedule given he’s become bloated in the first few days.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? I noticed he was bloated switching him from his pet store cup to the new tank, which was also newly store bought. It filtered one night through, the water is tap but was conditioned.
What percentage of water did you change? 100% (Cup to tank)
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? N/A
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.
* Sadly I cant provide this info as i’m not entirely sure :( if there is a way to test I’d appreciate the advice!
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
I was observing him in his new tank for about an hour, as i’m always really cautious with that. After a little I noticed his abdomen area seemed rather abnormal, only by a little bit.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
I thought I saw the scales by his face or gills become paler, however I reviewed some pictures I took of him prior and it seemed normal. Other than the bloated stomach, I don’t think so.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Given he’s new, I still can’t entirely tell. At the pet store he was decently social and would swim around quite a bit, but he’d also take his time to just float. He swims around and looks at me, but he’ll go back by the filter and heater and just float there.
Is your Betta still eating?
I think so. I wanted to fast him as a few people suggested, but I had to fight my mom who ended up putting a pellet in. He didn’t eat it right away. But there’s a chance he did eat it while I was away (school) or it could be in the tank somewhere.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
I did not feed him with the exception of one pellet in the morning as he was moving around a decent amount. I have a towel over part of the tank to see if it will help him destress.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
No, I don’t believe so
How long have you owned your Betta?
Two to three days
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
No

·
Registered
Mr Garvey, male rose tail; A-aron, male betta, no-name; and male P. Clarkii rayfish
77 Posts
Hello! He looks bloated. I’d suggest you not feed him any more today. Check to see if he’s bloated tomorrow morning. If he is, then don’t feed him. Bettas can go a number of days without being fed. Also, since he’s still brand new, you could turn his light off and cover his tank with a small towel to help reduce stress.

Keep us posted!

·
Super Moderator
1,464 Posts
What kind of pellets are you feeding him? I agree maybe fast him for a day or two and see if that helps.
For what it’s worth I have two of those little heaters and they work just fine. They were initially meant to be temporary but I’ve had one for over a year and it works just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts