Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently studying in France and my Betta traveled with me. It was hard to get all the necessities, so his temporary home is a 2.5G with no filter but I change the water every 2-3 days (using API Stress Coat + Seachem prime conditioner)

I've had him since April. I don't know what happened but 5 days ago (sunday) he stopped eating completely and I noticed his stomach was a bit bloated, what scared me was his scales turned orange/yellow around that area and hes a completely blue and black fish. It wasn't until that night I saw his scales starting to pinecone (not his entire body just the front).

Because I'm in a different country I had to express ship Kanaplex to which I recieved yesterday (thursday) and I did the first round of dosage. But while I was waiting I did give him a Epsom salt bath wednesday and again today. He doesn't seem to be getting better or worst. I'm so sad and so scared. I have a million and one questions. Even though it might be early to see, cause he isn't as bloated like all these other photos I've seen online of dropsy but the pineconing is clear as day.

He hasn't lost color besides the orange/yellow stomach but I did notice the end of his fins are transparent. He does swim around occasionally like he use to but most of the time he just sits at the bottom of his tank and breaths heavily.

Q1. Since he hasn't eaten will he continue to just starve himself or will he give in to food eventually?

Q2. What is considered the early stages of dropsy?

Q3. How long does he have left?

Q4. Is there anything else I can do besides, the water changes and salt baths?

I hope to hear from you soon I really am lost and need help. This is heartbreaking for me

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Generally Dropsy is Organ Failure. Just make him as comfortable until his time comes. If you are anything like me, I don't have the heart to euthanize.

Sorry, didn't see the questions.

Q1. Since he hasn't eaten will he continue to just starve himself or will he give in to food eventually?

He probably won't eat unless he recovers. I've had a betta go 3 weeks without food.

Q2. What is considered the early stages of dropsy?

Greayed belly, cloudy eyes, "pineconed" scales.

Q3. How long does he have left?

Depends on the stage of dropsy.

Q4. Is there anything else I can do besides, the water changes and salt baths?

Not really, sorry.

Reactions: LittleMan
1 - 2 of 2 Posts