Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
He's probably just a bit stressed and getting to know his new surroundings. You can try giving him some more hidey spots or some live plants; fish actually come out more if they know they have plenty of hiding spots available if need be. Also, putting some organic plain rooibos tea bags or Indian almond leaf in there (or just get some black water extract from fish store) can help decrease stress and aid good immune system. Tea bags you can get from health food section of grocery; just make sure organic rooibos ONLY ingredient. The almond leaves you can order online, but I found a readily available new source: go to hermit crab section (of at least one box store pet shop); they have the dried leaves in little sealed bags. Nice ones too and what I use for my guy; use for hermies to boost humidity and for tannins as well, just like for our guys. As long as your guy looks fine, no clamped fins, eating and swimming normally, I wouldn't worry. Keep up on water changes, watch water params closely and your guy should gradually get used to everything and come out more. Eventually he'll race TOWARD you when he sees you in the distance ;)
Have fun!

·
Registered
156 Posts
just so you know, no lights real or otherwise should be on 24/7. Give him a natural day/night cycle like 10-12 hrs on then off rest of the time. Get one of those cheap light timers and you won't have to worry about turning lights on or off manually. No real need for sunlight; in fact, it can cause problems with algae and overheating if you're not careful. Try out the day night thing. I think you'll see your guy more calm and definitely more rested. Afterall, a good nap helps just about all of us living creatures ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts