Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around 10 am and 1 pm my betta got stuck in an air pump i managed to get her out and now her right fin and tail are gone but her heart is outside her body still
attached to her body just out of it she's acting normal though is there anything
I can do to help her? :-? :| :-(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes her heart is just outside the body but still attached well at least i think it's the heart.....:-?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
neptunesmom, I can't really post a picture due to not having a camera and my smart phone won't let me upload pictures to my computer. but her heart seems to be receding back into her body now!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
You should be able to email yourself the picture then open it on your computer and upload it from there

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
First off, I find it VERY unlikely that it was the heart that was outside of the body... The chances of that happening without major blood vessel damage are extremely low, and bettas hearts are located just behind the head.

- Where did the organ fall out of the body?
- How did she get caught in the air pump? Do you mean filter?
- Are there tankmates?

Can you please fill this out?

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The organ dangled out on the under side of her body behind her head.
Yes I mean air pump there was a volcano air pump in the tank at the time but i have now taken it out.
She has no tank mates.
the tank is 3.5 gallons.
I don't know the temperature exactly but it's room temperature.
Yes it has a miniature power filter.
air stone?
My tank dose so far not have a heater since I just got it 2 days ago.
She has no tank mates.
I feed her betta food from Aqueon, and i feed her one pellet in the morning one in the afternoon.
I preform a water change once or twice a month I change 3/4 quarters of the water and then i add conditioner
I have not tested my water so far
My fish has not changed colour She's resting quite often I noticed the symptoms a few minutes after getting her out of the air pump yes i have started treating her i put in a special type of stress coat that heals fins and other injuries she has never been ill before and she's approximately 3 months old

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Agreed - as someone who has cleaned well more than a thousand fish, the heart is neatly tucked away behind the head right under the spine. There is no mobility - I would go so far as to say that it is impossible. There are a lot of other organs than may protrude from the body due to an injury.

If there is an open wound to that extent, it might be a good idea to treat with meds in order to prevent a bacterial or fungal infection from setting in. Just an idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a picture of her currently the organ has slightly gone back in but you can't really see it since it's on the other side of her

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm so sorry, at least you tried. Take care.......

·
Registered
453 Posts
... what a coincidence. I had a Petco blue crowntail female which I named Nami as well. A couple days ago I was doing a water change for her, and I accidentally let her get too close to the hose (I did not think the current was that strong to be honest and she had a very bloated belly from Petco which I was treating), but she received a similar injury. I was surprised how hardy Betta can be, as she lived for more than 30 min. after the injury and I struggled between euthanizing and treating her.

I'm sorry to hear your Nami didn't make it either.

*And I know it's irrelevant now, but if it were the heart, it should be beating (and also bleeding unless it's a miracle).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts