Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought a white crowntail betta fish just over a month and a half ago. When I bought him, he had a teeny lump but i never really paid too much mind to it. Over the last few weeks though it's gotten bigger :(

I'm not sure if i need to answer this stuff too but

Housing
What size is your tank?
1.5gal
What temperature is your tank?
80*f at the moment
Does your tank have a filter?
Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No
Is your tank heated?
Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
He lives on his own

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Just regular betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?
3 every morning and night and i fast him once a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
once a week because of the filter

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
about 20-30%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
just a regular water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
i don't have a kit yet

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Has a large lump on his back/tailfin

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
it hasn't changed at all, though he's very energetic

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
when I bought him

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Haven't started anything yet

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
Nope
How old is your fish (approximately)?
I've only had him for about a month and a half (unsure of anything past that)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
That's his swim bladder. It helps him maintain his buoyancy in the water. As long as he's active, energetic and able to swim up/down whenever he wants -- he's fine. :)

I'm thinking that you may be noticing it now because he's probably grown since you've gotten him. Often, the fish at petstores aren't fully grown yet. So as he's growing, his swim bladder is growing too. It's probably noticeable on him because he's a light color.

My only suggestion is that you increase to 50% water changes every week. Even though there's a filter in the tank, wastes and bacteria can build up over time. Doing a 50% water change will help remove them. Increasing the amount of your water changes never hurts, and very often helps them remain healthy. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's his swim bladder. It helps him maintain his buoyancy in the water. As long as he's active, energetic and able to swim up/down whenever he wants -- he's fine. :)

I'm thinking that you may be noticing it now because he's probably grown since you've gotten him. Often, the fish at petstores aren't fully grown yet. So as he's growing, his swim bladder is growing too. It's probably noticeable on him because he's a light color.

My only suggestion is that you increase to 50% water changes every week. Even though there's a filter in the tank, wastes and bacteria can build up over time. Doing a 50% water change will help remove them. Increasing the amount of your water changes never hurts, and very often helps them remain healthy. :)
AHHHH OH gosh thankyou so much!! I was worried cause I could only see it on one side and it looked kind of uncomfortable for him (Cause its more that tiny lump towards his actual tail rather than his body) but he seems to be 100% okay and he swims around like mad & eats every day without missing a pellet (though he's very aggressive when he does!)

but gosh thankyou this put me at ease :) & i will take up your advice on the 50% water changes too :-D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just went through the same thing with one of mine, actually! Saw the same thing you're describing on an otherwise healthy, hungry, and active fish in a tank with appropriate water changes/testing- got a little worried, but it's been a week or so since I originally noticed it and my guy seems to be fine.

I test water every 2 days (API Master Test Kit, track on an Excel spreadsheet) and do partial water changes of around 50% every 4-5 days for this guy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just went through the same thing with one of mine, actually! Saw the same thing you're describing on an otherwise healthy, hungry, and active fish in a tank with appropriate water changes/testing- got a little worried, but it's been a week or so since I originally noticed it and my guy seems to be fine.

I test water every 2 days (API Master Test Kit, track on an Excel spreadsheet) and do partial water changes of around 50% every 4-5 days for this guy.
He looks like a real beauty uvu but glad to know i'm not the only one c: i guess i'll just keep an eye on it in case it looks obnoxiously big or something c:

·
Registered
658 Posts
I am just curious, is this actually the lump you're talking about? The picture isn't terribly clear when enlarged, so I can't see if there is for sure something there where I put the arrow, but if that's the lump you were asking about, that's not the swim bladder. It could be several things though, none of which you necessarily have to worry about right now.

Hair Close-up Eye Plant Flower

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.