Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started to feed my bettas each 3 pellets by finger every day and now whenever I clean the tank they nip and swim around my arm. Is this normal? I don't mind one nipping at me but all 5 at once is a little much. I'm just wondering is this normal? Are they doing this because they are excited or angry? Then when I lift my hand out they jump to it. I just need advice on how to tame this because it was hard to put back the plants. Are they just doing this since they are more comfortable with me now? I have 5 female bettas in a 15gallon

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
They've learned to associate your hand with food, so it's like when the waiter comes from the kitchen with food and walks past, they think you have food and they want it

·
Registered
695 Posts
Exactly. It doesn't help that, in my experience, girls are much more fussy and demanding. Especially when it comes to food. Just think of it as little mildly painful betta kisses :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
It's definitely just them trying to get some food - only my bettas that I hand feed will nip at me, the others pretty much stay away from my hands :)

·
Registered
Tao: Butterfly Halfmoon, Ivan: Kitty!, Firefly: TB Horse<3
2,685 Posts
That's so cute xD. Milo accidentally nipped me when I was feeding him a couple of months ago haha. He immediately freaked out and was like 'gahhh I'm so sowwy mommy!' xD your girls are all like 'wE MUST GET THE FOOD'

I don't know I do impressions of my fishies a lot o-o

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Lol I actively encourage my boys to nibble on me. It's like a spa day!!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
If you want them to stop jumping and nipping while you're cleaning, you're going to have to stop feeding them off your fingers. They associate your hand and arm with food, so the only way to get them to quit, is to break the association and to do that, you're going to have to keep your hands/fingers out of the tank when feeding.
Yes, it's absolutely normal that they're doing this.

·
Registered
658 Posts
My sorority all swim around my arm and nibble too, when I am fixing plants, and I've never hand fed them. I like it!
Like Artemis said, I think of it as kisses.. But mildly painful? It feels like very light taps to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts