Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything I can give my betta if she is refusing to eat or always spitting her food out?

·
Super Moderator
18,405 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Horzez!

How long have you had your Betta?

If she is fairly new and active there are many reasons she may not be eating but two main ones are stress of going from a cup to a mansion or not recognizing what you are offering as food. In the later case, she may have been fed frozen or freeze dried and if you are offering pellets or flakes they are foreign to her.

Give her one pellet and if she does not eat within a minute or two, remove and try again a couple of hours later. Whatever you do, do not go out and buy or offer frozen or freeze dried...this is like giving chocolate as a reward to a child who refuses to eat his or her vegetables. This will set you back. Keep offering your food until she realizes what it is. It can take more than a week and I have even had them go two or more. Rest assured he will not allow herself to starve.

The caveat is if she is lethargic and lying on the bottom and totally unresponsive to her environment she may be sick. That is another situation entirely.

A photo of your new Betta would really help. Click on Go Advanced and then the paper clip in the toolbar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had my betta for almost a year. She is still quite active but never seems to want to eat. Thanks for the advice!

·
Super Moderator
18,405 Posts
What are you feeding? Is she eating at all? I do not think she would be alive if she were not eating. Do you see a lot of leftover food on the bottom? Some of mine seem to prefer to wait until the food drops and eventually eat from the substrate. Others gobble the food before it reaches the substrate. She may be one of the former.

FWIW, this is a Betta that is not eating.
EmaciatedBetta.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm feeding her pellets. There is always food at the bottom of the tank. The water gets dirty so fast and there is always a foggy film over the surface of the water. Not too long ago she went 2 weeks without eating and since that she is only interested in eating a few times a week. When she does try to eat she ends up spitting out the food like she can't keep it down. She hasn't eaten a full pellet at once in a long time. This has been going on for almost a month so she will be eating a little bit some way or another. We moved about 2 months ago and she was eating just fine until a few weeks after the move. During the move she was still eating and acting perfectly normal But now getting her to eat is a struggle.

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,405 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts