Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
403 Posts
Its a nice tank but very sterile. Will you be adding any gravel or plants to it? I think your Betta would like some places to explore and hide. What about a place for him to rest?

· Registered
403 Posts
Fin rot comes from bacteria in the water ( not the good bacteria needed to change ammonia) but from lack of water change. If your tank has no filter than bad bacteria builds up quickly and affects your fish by eating away at the fins and body. It doesn't come from decor. In my 5 Gal. tank that Harry calls home I have Gravel, and plants he likes to hide in. I have a power filter Which gives me three types of filtration. Bio, Chemical, and Manual. I check my water quality at least weekly, and I make 25% water changes once a week, and I change the water 100% once a month. When I do this I clean all the plants and wash the gravel. I never use any kind of soap Just good hot water. I clean the plants by hand and use an old tooth brush to brush all the algae off the plants. While Harry is out of his tank he is in a bowl that has clean treated, and warm water (same temp as his tank) in it. when I finish cleaning He and the water go into his clean tank. I have had Harry for going on 2 years now and have never had any problems. He loves the tank and loves to explore. When I put all the plants back in I change the positions of the plants making Harry think there are new places to explore.
And yes after posting this I may go a little crazy and overboard but I have a very happy and healthy fish.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.