Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a black crowntail betta at Petco as an adoption back in March. I also got what looks like a cellophane half moon. I got the Marineland pillar clearanced for $25. I divided it and did a black-white Asian theme.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My black guy Onyx was being super camera shy. Turns out he has a little cotton wool fungus on his mouth, so I started erythromycin. His tankmate Cloudy was being very photo friendly.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
if the CT has fungus I'd put him in a hospital tank until its cleared up so it doesn't pass to the HM. Unless you already have if so sorry I misread.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I left him in there so they could both get treated with e-mycin. Even though Cloudy is asymptomatic I'm still treating him. Last winter I had a male betta in a 10 gallon with 3 females. When he had cotton wool fungus, I treated only him since he was the only one showing symptoms. He lived. His mates did not. They went from no visible symptoms to dead in a very short time, and they all died in about a day and a half. I won't make that mistake again.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I like the idea of your tank a lot - those bamboo are not water plants though. They will die and rot -- it looks like I can already see some of the leaves going brown.
The lucky bamboo is not technically an aquatic plant (but a dracaena plant); the leaves need access to the air or they will die.You can submerge the roots, but the leaves will need to be above water.

Really pretty fish. I hope they get well soon!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the get well. If bamboos aren't water plants then why are they sold as such? I have some beautiful bamboos in my 29 gallon Angkor Wat tank. I think the reason why these bamboos aren't doing as well is because this tank is in my 8 yr old's bedroom and she doesn't always remember to turn on the light.

·
Registered
220 Posts
i can tell you for certain they are not underwater plants. I'm not sure why they are sold as such. It's rather an odd phenomenon.

I have Tropical Fish magazine, and it even had a whole article in it about Plants That are Sold as Water Plants, but Are Not. That was specifically mentioned.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
It's just to make money is all, to sell to the unknowing customer.

There are more than just the "bamboo" plants that they sell that aren't fully aquatic. This plant is actually the very popular species of house planted called Dracaena, I'm sure you've seen it before, there are so many different variants though. This one can handle it's roots being submerged but those leaves need to be out of the water for it to fully survive.

I'm sorry you had to find out the hard way about these plants, I know it really stinks in the end.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Your fish is beautiful. I love the concept of the tank too.

Bamboo can survive for a while fully submerged like that. That is why petstores can chuck them in aquariums because they usually sell before they start dying (and if they die, it just means more revenue because there will be customers that come back and buy more to replace them). But they are not aquatic plants; they're bog plants. They will eventually rot if left completely in water permanently.

I would also advise against keeping a male with females. Females can be just as vicious and territorial as males and they don't always take kindly to a male being in the same tank as them. I mean, there are plenty of females that don't even get along with other females. And even if there is no outward display of aggression that you can see, it still can be a highly stressful environment for all the fish and that makes them more susceptible to disease such as columnaris. Not saying it cannot be done, but it seems to fail more often than not and I'd rather be safe than sorry with fish that you can get so easily attached to involved.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
yes I've seen several plant variety that weren't aquatic at my LPS ( mundo grass bamboo...ect.) I asked why and he said he sells anything extra the suplyer has sent as well as what he orders...so yeah to make money, but as long as the leaves are all the way uncovered then you'll be okay, but still upgrade to a real plant the next time you can...idk if someone already said this if so then woopsies hahaxD your fish I soo pretty tho!:)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am much more cautious about males with females than I used to be. I also have more and bigger setups. I've found a lot of variability in the personalities of both male and female bettas. I have a beautiful red female named Cherry that I had to do a lot of socialization on. She bullied her sorority sisters and shredded the fins of two different males I put her with. She spent a month in a breeding box inside my 75 gallon before I let her out with other fish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.