Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
~Neo (♂ betta) ~Lucy (♀ platy) ~Andromeda (♀ molly) ~Otto (♂ oto catfish) ~Archibald ( ♂ mys. snail)
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. My boy Neo isn't feeling his best. :( About a month ago he pretty much stopped foraging for leftover food at the bottom of the tank and would just kind of strut his stuff around the tank for a while after eating. So I changed how much I feed him accordingly to make sure he was getting enough - once I knew that he'd completely dropped the foraging hobby, that is. (For those of you who don't know, I have him jump up and get the food from my finger while I drop food in the water for the rest of the fish.) Well two nights ago out of the blue he decided after dinner that he was going to pick the hobby back up again, and I mean he really went to town! By lights out I noticed he had quite the belly on him but figured he'd have a good poop soon and he'd be fine. But by morning it only went down a little bit. So I fasted him all day yesterday. He seemed pretty normal throughout most of the day, but I noticed a couple hours before bed that he was tiring easily. He'd swim onto a leaf or branch from the decor and rest for a minute or two before swimming back off again.

Well this morning he's still a bit bloated. Mostly he looks like he just ate a full meal (which I know he didn't because all the fish and snail are accounted for, and the substrate has been recently vacuumed... unless he's been eating algae which I highly doubt.) He did jump up to get a bite from my finger, but once he noticed it was a mouth full of shrimp he just spit it out, which his girlfriend Andromeda the molly was all too happy to snatch up only .25 seconds after. (I hadn't actually noticed yet that his belly was still a bit swollen, otherwise I wouldn't have offered him shrimp.) He refused my finger food after that. I do usually drop and spread a little bit daphnia in the water along with whatever protein I'm feeding them just to give them all a tiny bit of fiber in their meals. Thankfully he did manage to take a few specs of daphnia floating in the water before going to his hallow floating log to rest. So hopefully that'll help move things along soon.

He's been spending most of the morning in his log resting. That's the one place out of the whole tank that he wanted completely to himself for whenever he wants privacy once I started making his tank a community tank. It actually didn't take long for him to enforce that law, and he didn't have to get nasty about it for the other fish to get the point either. He'd just sorta usher them out, and they all got the point within a couple days. And all the new fish sort of took notes from the old fish so they kind of knew early on abou that log. The interesting thing is he never really sleeps in there. He might have a cat nap in the log once in a while during the afternoons, but that's it. In fact when he's full on sleeping at night, he always sleeps out in the open with the others - sometimes next to the heater or on top of his hammock leaf, or more frequently at the bottom in a particular spot where his girlfriend Andromeda always sleeps. Meaning he actually chooses to sleep near or next to Andromeda which I think is super cute. Really he never goes in there with the intent of spending time in there. Really he'll just swim through it while he's struttin' around the tank.

As for this morning, he still does come out every few minutes. Just to kind of swim around and see what the other fish are up to. There are a couple holes on the side of the log where he can use as either a door or window. He'll poke his little head out of that to see what's going on. He'll come out too if I come into the room to say hello. So he's not totally secluded or antisocial. I decided to keep the tank light off to help ease him. I'm thinking if he's still like this by tonight I'll pop in some IAL just for good measure.

Oh, and he's swimming normally and the parameters are all good too, in case anyone was wondering. He's just tired and bloated and won't eat anything apart from a few flecks of daphnia, but understandably so. That's why I put this in the Betta Care thread instead of Diseases and Emergencies, because I don't believe it's neither a disease nor emergency. Really I guess I'm just writing this because I just had a bad dream about losing my boy only a few days ago and now I guess I'm just nervous and worried about him. So I guess it's just cathartic.

By the way, what the heck is "wqsntn"? I typed that on accident on my phone and my phone recognizes it as a real word. 😖 And my phone doesn't have the ability for me to add words to its dictionary, so it wasn't me. What's going on... Is there a conspiracy here? 🤔 Hmmm....

·
Registered
6 Bettas, 5 Snails, 5 Shrimp, 1 Mouse, 2 Hissing roaches
716 Posts
I often tell people that if you can say it, it's a word. Just give it a definition LOL
And honestly, no idea. But if you find out I'd be fascinated to know.

On another note, your baby.
Lethargy can be caused by constipation, try not to worry! He'll be okay!
You can always try the pea method too if Daphnia doesn't work.

Hope he starts feeling better soon!!

Reactions: SammiDraco

·
Registered
~Neo (♂ betta) ~Lucy (♀ platy) ~Andromeda (♀ molly) ~Otto (♂ oto catfish) ~Archibald ( ♂ mys. snail)
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I often tell people that if you can say it, it's a word. Just give it a definition LOL
And honestly, no idea. But if you find out I'd be fascinated to know.

On another note, your baby.
Lethargy can be caused by constipation, try not to worry! He'll be okay!
You can always try the pea method too if Daphnia doesn't work.

Hope he starts feeling better soon!!
Thank you. 😊 I've never truly dealt with this problem before being that it's my first community tank and my first time owning other fish aside from a betta. I've always been able to train my bettas to jump out of the water and take their food from my finger, and being able to skip the whole "leftover food in the substrate" deal. So none of my bettas ever had the opportunity to overeat. I kind of rationalized that he'd probably be tired since most animals are after eating too much. But it still worried me regardless. Thank you for putting my worries to rest. Now I won't have to wake him up from his naps every hour and make him come over to the glass to talk to me just so I can check up on him. Now he can get his rest. :LOL:

Now about this conspiracy word... I must say your logic in this matter is quite... logical. :sneaky: Indeed it is the very basis - the very foundation - the very epitome of the inevitable evolution of language. Quite elementary, really. Unfortunately - regrettably among this hideously sinister jumbled mess of characters, alas there is not a single vowel to allow me reprieve in articulation; no respite in pronunciation. Therefore, my dear @Eridanus, with the aid of your brilliant insight; through the power of deduction and process of elimination I deduce that this seemingly arbitrary and maddeningly fortuitous configuration of figures and runes must not be a word! Nay! Indeed it is not a word! Thus if it is not a word, then there is only one other thing..... one thing - one device - one instrument - one contrivance - one other maniacally malicious possibility that could be equal in its nefarious nature and depth of depravity........ an ACRONYM!!!

AH HA! Finally a clue! I am on the case! I will solve this mystery! It will be the mystery of the ages! When I crack the case, this acronym will suddenly be a household word across all land and sea! Children will learn of it in their studies; scholars will challenge it with their intellect; kings and queens will revere it! It will be a case to sculpt history like a mold! Thank you for your insight on this conspiracy my dear @Eridanus!

(That whole time I was rolling all of my R's in my head as I was typing. :ROFLMAO: I'm not sure why I suddenly and randomly turned into Sherlock Holmes meets V For Vendetta, but it was fun anyway. Really I'm just laughing that all that messing around was actually longer than than the bit about my betta. Thanks for entertaining my weird conspiracy word. 😁)

• Haha
Reactions: Eridanus

·
Registered
716 Posts
Totally understood! Worrying is part of our job, right?

That's bloody brilliant that is! @SammiDraco your mind astounds me! Lestrade should listen more.

Pardon my Watson reply, I'm quite rusty. It's been a while since I've read/watched Sherlock lol.
And no problem! As someone who spends their free time researching random topics, any sort of information, even just a theory, is right up my alley.
Your reply had me in tears though LOL

But also, you should make an acronym out of it, or a word and give it some weird definition. Use it to mess with people you know!?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha! I love it! 👏:ROFLMAO: I'm glad you were able to get some amusement out of my randomness. Some people just kinda give a little "lol" out of not knowing what to say or even think of my sudden serendipitous outburst. I'm happy we understand each other! 😁

You've got a good idea though of making up the acronym. (Apparently you're full of good ideas. ;)) I'll have to think on it a bit and get back to you. Maybe I'll make a post and get some other's ideas too . This will be fun!

Reactions: Eridanus

·
Registered
716 Posts
Why ignore the random when you can join it? It's what makes life interesting!

(Aw thanks) And that'd be cool, you'd probably get some unique ones! And alright, looking forward to it! 🙂

1 - 6 of 6 Posts