Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have four male Bettas - three Splendens and a Smaragdina.
Two of my boys are healing up from some fin-tearing from plastic plants. Luckily, our petsmart finally carries live plants that aren't half-dead, and those plastic plants are out of the tanks now, and all injuries are examined daily to make sure no fungus or rot starts.

Tangelo "Tangy"

My first Betta - the little brat that started my obsession. The funny thing is.. I almost didn't get him. I live with my grandmother, and for the most part need her approval to bring any new animals into the household. We were at a store called Pet Kraze, and I saw him on the shelf behind the counter, but I was afraid she'd get mad. We got out to the car and I mentioned him.. next thing I knew we were bringing him home, and a few days later he had his own filtered and heated tank.
He is the grumpiest little boy.. but he also adores attention. He's my biggest bubble nester and tends to make large nests that he does not want you to so much as look at from across the room. He was a mature male when I bought him, and is definitely more aggressive than any of my other boys.

-----

Lacey "Lace"

This was my second boy. When I bought him from Petsmart he was the most awkward little thing ever. He was this tiny little white fish with fins too big for his body, and a beautiful metallic shine. He amazed me to no end as he grew, going from almost white to his current bright blue. He's notoriously lazy, unless his tank is directly next to me. He's my biggest betta currently. He's no 'giant' betta, but with his thick body and massive tail, he makes my other boys look tiny.
He's a difficult boy sometimes, though. When I tried to remove the hazardous plastic plant from his tank, he threw a fit and two a couple nice chunks out of his tail. I had to let the plant grow a bit more then try again - about two days ago - and so far so good. I didn't know which was worse, having a plant rip up his fins, or having him bite chunks from them, but I was afraid the biting would turn habitual. He has some scaling on his eyes, but it doesn't seem to be worsening.

-----

Pirate "Pira"

What did I want for the nineteenth birthday? Another Betta. My grandmother ended up buying me him, plus his tank, at Petsmart. This little guy is precious. His mouth curves in a way that, to me, makes it look like he's smiling. He's my smallest boy. He was under an inch, in body length, when I first got him, and is now just over an inch a few months later. It feels like Lacey, who was a similar size when I got him, grew much faster. Both have had the same care - plenty of water changes, quality food, heat, etc. I suppose it could also be genetics. Whatever the case, he's a sweetheart. Unless you're a mystery snail. Then he's a relentless hunter who puts my other boys to shame in his ferocity. No snail-friends for him, it seems.
He also has a huge appetite compared to everyone else, and will eat until he literally has to spit the food back out when given the opportunity, and then happily swim around with the chubbiest belly I've ever seen on a fish. He recently developed a copper shine on his lips - so it looks like he has shiny copper lipstick on.

-----

Osiris "Osi"

My newest boy, and the only one that's not a Splendens, Osi came from a breeder in Thailand. He's a copper gold Smaragdina, but his colors always look quite red in my tank. He's very timid, and spends quite a bit of time hiding - but isn't afraid of people or hands in the tank. He'll usually take freeze dried bloodworms from me, which my other boys generally won't. I get the feeling, even with plants and hiding spots, he's insecure in a large tank, and eventually I want to try him in something smaller for awhile (even if it turns out he doesn't like it and I have to give him his big tank back).
He's a lovely boy, and very gentle. He has a few mystery snails in his tank, and after an initial nip or two, doesn't even seem to notice them. I've noticed he has an interestingly shaped tail - it dips inward instead of rounding or pointing like most pictures of Smaragdina seem to. I've wondered if it was a deformity, or the result of some hybridizing in his background (maybe doubletail?)

I'll probably drop more pictures into this thread if I get any good shots. I upload many fish photos to my deviantart (Rosalaine) and some to my tumblr (also Rosalaine), too. I pretty much never stop taking pictures of my boys ^^;

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Beautiful Boys! 8D and I love their stories! <3

1 - 2 of 2 Posts