Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a 10gal tank, set at 82 degrees equipped with water lettuce, a hide out, half cup for bubble nesting, and glass chimney.. Any last minute suggestions before i drop in my male?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
The setup looks good, but IMO the female should have several places to hide from the male if he gets too agressive.

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
The set up looks really good. nice and clean (for now anyway).

For suggestions, I would suggest many more live plants that look like they are "bunches" like water sprice guppy grass and others as well. Water Sprice is my favorite. "(You can google any of these if you dont know them).

As for the little hidey spot, I would say that is fine. I mean look at the Thia and top breeders in the US. They don't use a ten gallon tank nor do they use a hiding spot for the female. And if they do use a hiding spot then they use a small cup or something in that sense.

I like using snails because they do their "jobs." Snails are really helpful and they help with infusoria and eat the dead fry and food that could contaminate the water. So I would highly suggest either a nice sized apple snail or just a few regular pond snails.

Good Luck! Ah, Crowntails! Beautiful color and nice rays from what I can see from the two pictures. I want to see how this spawn comes out.

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
I think you should drop the male and the female in the aquarium at the same time to avoid any territoriality between them
This can be done in which ever order the breeder feels works best for them. Though if you look at the picture the female can't really claim anything because she is confined in a glass. The male however will claim the tank.

I myself usually have the female in the hurricane glass and the male wandering all over claiming the tank, though like I said it really depends on the breeder's choice.

Please don't take this as I am trying to put your opinion/suggestion/idea down. I am just explaining other possibilities.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The set up looks really good. nice and clean (for now anyway).

For suggestions, I would suggest many more live plants that look like they are "bunches" like water sprice guppy grass and others as well. Water Sprice is my favorite. "(You can google any of these if you dont know them).

As for the little hidey spot, I would say that is fine. I mean look at the Thia and top breeders in the US. They don't use a ten gallon tank nor do they use a hiding spot for the female. And if they do use a hiding spot then they use a small cup or something in that sense.

I like using snails because they do their "jobs." Snails are really helpful and they help with infusoria and eat the dead fry and food that could contaminate the water. So I would highly suggest either a nice sized apple snail or just a few regular pond snails.

Good Luck! Ah, Crowntails! Beautiful color and nice rays from what I can see from the two pictures. I want to see how this spawn comes out.

are you saying the snail produces infusoria, or eats it??

·
Registered
736 Posts
the snail helps produce the infusoria :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so i put in my male and he made a buautiful bubble nest, about 8 inches in diameter.. but my female doesnt show signs of wanting to mate...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
she darts up and down in the water, hits the glas when hes near and seems frantic to escape

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i havnt released her yet, not sure if i should. my male is still building his nest and theyve been together 3 days now

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Well it just depends on how big you want the bubblenest. (When I was newer to breeding, I would usually wait until the bubblenest filled a least 1/3 of the 1/2 cup and then release her, though now I just throw them together and they breed within a few hours to two days.

It is different with other bettas. You see I have never had such trouble with my fish before. They would usually breed in a few hours, but now the female is a little too submissive and the male too aggressive for her so I have to try the other breeder male Draco.

It's really all on you to call the shots.

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
i put them together, my male keeps chasing her from the nest
Well this will happen for another couple of hours to 2-3 days. Sometimes if the pair is young, this will take long, but if they are spawned once before or are a bit older, I would say they would spawn in a day or a few hours.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts