Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
A couple things that stand out which could be contributing to your betta's problems and are easy to change:

--If your water stays at a constant 76 degrees, that's fine, though on the low side, and it may help to bump up the temperature a couple of degrees. A small, adjustable heater would do the trick.
--I would recommend cutting out the freeze dried food and using frozen as a treat instead. Freeze dried food can cause digestive issues, as can flake foods. Get a good quality betta pellet - the most recommended around here are New Life Spectrum and Omega One Betta Buffet.
--In a 3.5 gallon, unfiltered tank, you need to be doing two water changes per week - one 50% and one 100%, meaning cupping your fish, cleaning the gravel, wiping the tank down, etc, with the 100%.
--Test strips are almost 100% inaccurate and will not tell you anything useful. Liquid tests are the way to go. I have small kids and pets too, and I just keep the fish chems in a locked cabinet. I would pick up a liquid ammonia test kit and test daily until you get an idea of how the levels go. You want to do a water change anytime it approaches or exceeds .25ppm on the test.
--Back off on the aquarium salt. You should really only be adding around 1/2 of a teaspoon if you're going to add it regularly. All that salt is stressing his kidneys, which could actually be a main contributor to his illness right now. The rule of thumb is 1 tsp per 5-10 gallons of water, and when you do a water change only replace salt for the volume of water you removed. Meaning if you do only a 50% change, only add 1/4 of a tsp back in or else you're just increasing the concentration each time.

One last thing I'd say is to consider filtering your tank. With a small tank, you'll still need to do regular water changes even with a filter, but having a filter will make the tank more "forgiving" if you have to stretch it a day or so between changes as well as keep things healthy for your fish in between.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.