Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I had a betta that just passed away from being eaten by the filter. I am wondering how this could have happened and how to prevent it if I get a new betta. I have a tetra filter EX20 for 10-20 gallon aquariums. My tank is 10 gallons. I had my sweet little Betta named Tassle in the tank for 3 months and then today the filter sounded funny and he was nowhere to be seen and sure enough he was in the pipe and was all ruined from it and soon after died.

The filter is two years old bought brand new. It is secondhand to me and when I got it I found the remains of a small fish that had died in the filter. Little did I know the same thing would happen to my fish :-(

What should I do? I am so sad about losing Tassle. He was a pink and red crown tail thus the name Tassle. I already had a baffle on the filter. But he must have swam or been sucked up the pipe. My mom suggested putting a netting on the bottom of the pipe where the water comes in?

I'm about ready to forget having a 10 gal with a filter if it only kills my fish instead of helping it live longer :cry:

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Most people use panty hose (women's tights) and tie a piece around the intake.
I'm sorry about your fish :(

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I'm sorry for you loss...I use a small piece of aquarium sponge..I cut it and put in the inflow part of the filter..also you can buy a valve very cheap at Petsmart it lets you control the power of the filter...again, so sorry hon.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Oh you have my condolences!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was pretty traumatic the way I found him with all his fins eaten off. It was amazing that he was still alive. I'm glad he's no longer suffering and I hope he's with my old cat in pet heaven.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
420 Posts
My condolences on your lost. Aside from the nylon thing you can put some aquarium foam in the pipe this will slow down the suction and make it safe for a new betta fish.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Now that I know about fish getting sucked into HOB filters I don't understand why it's not explained on EVERY aquarium kit!

Gah!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Now that I know about fish getting sucked into HOB filters I don't understand why it's not explained on EVERY aquarium kit!

Gah!
The filter should have had an intake basket to prevent large things from being sucked into it. If you have a very strong filter it can still suck small fish to the basket. Usually the fish will be unharmed if they are able to pull away. If they are stuck on the basket for long periods of time they might die. You can put a sponge on the intake by cutting a hole in the sponge and slipping it over the intake pipe. I also recommend finding a replacement basket for the filter and then putting a sponge over that basket. This is just in case the sponge slips off you will have a secondary guard to protect the fish, the basket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.