Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... I JUST won my bid for 1-M20 Blue/White marble male (HM geno) from Betta5.... I know hes not THE best, but I fel in love with him and I think hes GORGEOUS

His parents:

halfmoon lavender marble father and super delta turquoise marble mother

and Smudge:

Comments? :)

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Wow Smudge looks really nice. The colors are very pretty and compliment each other VERY well!

Are the two in the first picture a pair? That first male is also very pretty. He has a nice look to him!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow Smudge looks really nice. The colors are very pretty and compliment each other VERY well!

Are the two in the first picture a pair? That first male is also very pretty. He has a nice look to him!

I know, he had a brother with a bit better finage, but his coloring and pattern wasnt as nice

The two in the first picture are his parents.... and I know, he's one of the big reasons I fell in love with Smudge, I LOVE the fins on the dad

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
ah I see! Wow his fins don't even have any red, which is really surprising lol.

Nice color and it looks to me like he is going to change a bit more.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know, one of his brothers had a bit of red, blue, and lavender... the others were more pastel, lol

Im hoping he changes a little bit.... but for the better... fingers crossed!

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
I agree. My intuition just is really strong on this. He has a really high chance of changing because you can see that his color hasn't fully stayed in there and that's where the "jumping gene" takes its tole:).

·
Registered
735 Posts
Oh..he'll change. xD
I'll bet he ends up all blue/blue-white butterfly in a few months.(his dad has the messy-butterflyesque coloring)
Maybe some red wash with age because of his dad, though it looks like your boy has non-red(yellow)

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree. My intuition just is really strong on this. He has a really high chance of changing because you can see that his color hasn't fully stayed in there and that's where the "jumping gene" takes its tole:).
Lol, I know, one of his brother was almost identical, but the breeder sent me an updated picture of him and WOW.... he looks more like the dad (butterfly) when he started out as a messy marble

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh..he'll change. xD
I'll bet he ends up all blue/blue-white butterfly in a few months.(his dad has the messy-butterflyesque coloring)
Maybe some red wash with age because of his dad, though it looks like your boy has non-red(yellow)
I know, I can't wait to see how he changes... one of the reasons I LOVE marbles... Merle didn't start coloring up till the last month or so, before then she was a plain white... NO other markings (compared to her siblings I was a it dissapointed, but she def. showed me!!!)
Im really excited to get him XD
The breeder is shipping him out in the morning and promised to call and to send me pics of the shipping label with tracking number <3 for my first aquabid purchase, Im def. pleased :-D

·
Registered
249 Posts
Pretty darn cute!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
Smudge is cute, and his name suits him to a T. I'm sure him and Merle will produce some nice-coloured fry. If you aren't looking at showing or producing top quality fish, I don't think finnage matters as much as colour.

Half the fish labelled at my LFS as HM are lucky to be considered deltas, and none of the people purchasing them seem to notice or care.

Looking forward to seeing a spawn log. I'm about to pay for my three females. Now I just need to find a suitable 'stud' :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Smudge is cute, and his name suits him to a T.
Thank you :-D I thought so to :-D

I'm sure him and Merle will produce some nice-coloured fry. If you aren't looking at showing or producing top quality fish, I don't think finnage matters as much as colour.

Half the fish labelled at my LFS as HM are lucky to be considered deltas, and none of the people purchasing them seem to notice or care.
Im breeding for showing, but I DO want to produce the best quality I can... otherwise I see no real purpose in breeding.... I do have a small petstore that is looking to purchase some, but they actually do not sell fish so I would be caring for them daily and will be able to monitor them

Looking forward to seeing a spawn log. I'm about to pay for my three females. Now I just need to find a suitable 'stud' :mrgreen:
Good luck on your spawn! I just picked up the tank Im going to use to breed in today, now I'm just waiting for my microworms and vinegar eels to arrive... and I still need BBS :-/ once I have the fry food I will start conditioning the pair (depending on Smudge's size and if I choose to use him... he is younger than Merle so I may have to wait a month or so to get his size a little bigger... nothing one on one TLC can't fix quick!)

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
Personally I'm more inclined towards the mindset of breeding the best to the best, but I know a majority here usually breed pet store type fish, which is fine if you can find a market for them.

Just don't let your microworm colony go off. I wondered what that foul smell in my bedroom was, and found a very mouldy looking microworm colony. Even with a lid on I could smell it :lol:

Live food cultures have since been banned from my bedroom.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have A petstore betta I would love to breed (black copper CT) but that is only because he has PERFECT fins (a bit of drooping from poor water quality) and his coloring is PERFECT... but unless I find a HIGH quality matching female I probably never would... especially since I don't know his background :-/

Lol... my first time breeding AND with live cultures... Im SCARED TO DEATH of forgetting about one and it... going off.... lol

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Lol, I know, one of his brother was almost identical, but the breeder sent me an updated picture of him and WOW.... he looks more like the dad (butterfly) when he started out as a messy marble
That DEFINITELY sounds right! All marbles will change to a butterfly in a few generations of breeding in the line.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts