Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
This is my first betta. Actually, he's my first fish ever. I was thinking about getting a regular betta from PetSmart but i saw him in BigAl n decided to get him for $25. My new buddy is in a 5g tank with filter and heater. He started to make bubble nest 5 days after settling his new home. I was so happy to see the bubble nest. I liked him so much that i'm thinking about getting a 20g long tank ,divide it into 3-4 parts and get more bettas. BigAl claims that he's a HM dragon. Can anyone please confirm this for me? Thank you

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
He is very pretty. Im not great at classifying bettas though. He looks like a half moon best way to tell is make him flare and see if his tail spreads like a big fan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looks like a HM to me, but I'm not sure about the dragon part. Btw that's a pretty nice set up! I love his colors c:

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Handsome boy you have, he is a lucky guy!

I want to say he has some dragon in him.. but not show/breed quality. He may become brighter and the scales more pronounced when he is older and gets more adjusted to his home and under proper care- but not going to say for sure. But he definitely has some armadillo dragon in him.

As for tail type, I want to say halfmoon- but you would have to get him fully flared to know for sure.. if he isn't a halfmoon, then he would be a super delta. But most likely halfmoon as those are the craze, along with dragons.. why sometimes you will get lower quality mix due to mass breeding.

BUT! Regardless whether or not he will end up with the striking scales, he sure is very handsome, and healthy looking.. congrats on the find! I would of taken him in a split second :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
What a beautiful boy! I love the glow of the blue around his fins. I like the tank, too. It's exactly like mine, only mine is a 3.5 gal. Congratulations, too! You've obviously caught the betta bug! Welcome!!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Very pretty boy! And I love your rocks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice Betta!

Nice Tank? What kind is it? Where did you get it?

I just got my very first Betta also. It's been quite the learning experience.

Those are great photos too!

·
Registered
928 Posts
WOW. he's nice looking, and your tanks is beautiful!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much for all of your kind comments. I really love him. It's only few days but he already recognizes me and begs for food when I come close. He creates a lot of bubbles but the filter keeps blowing them all over the tank. Is that gonne be a problem for him?
My next goal is to have a bigger tank with real plant for him and add more bettas (separately of course). I'm doing my research right now and hoping that someday i will become a betta breeder. However I live in Ottawa and my choice is so limited. Any betta i get from Aquabid is gonna cost $50 for transhipping.
About the tank, It's Aqueon Mini bow 5 and I got it from PetSmart. It's a great tank but the filter is a little bit small. Hopefully, it's good enough for only 1 betta.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4056278

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had issues with my filter, as well. So I replaced it with a more slow flowing filter. My betta is much happier. Before he was fighting the current and seemed stressed. I picked up the Marina i25 and the whole tank seems happier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts