Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Petsmart for some supplies for a large project and saw this poor guy floating sideways. Apparent bloating, pretty bad. The entire time I was watching he couldn't swim well. Decided to grab a few supplies and had a spare 2.5 gallon to be my quarantine tank. Treated the tank with a half a table spoon of aquarium salt, safe coat, and new start. Going to transition him in the next few minutes. What would you all recommend I do for continuous treatment. Obviously holding off on food until marked improvement. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This picture was the only one I could really get him to look half way normal. Had to sort poke the cup for him to get moving.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hi,
For bloating Epsom Salt is the better choice. This helps draw the liquid out and also is a mild laxative.
Aquarium Salt is harsher on the kidneys. Aquarium Salt is Sodium Chloride, Epsom Salt is Magnesium Sulfate, they are very different.

Trying to make him flare can also help expel extra liquid, you could try that as well.
Do any of the products you added dechlorinate the water? Do they help with Ammonia as well? This would be importand if your city adds chloramine to the water, but also if you don't have a filter with mature filter media to convert his waste.

On the picture he does not look very bloated though, maybe it's just the angle?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's huge in the belly. Almost like he ate a rock. He's been going to the bathroom A TON. People at Petsmart, who I know decently well and are genuinely good at their job said he's been down hill on arrival. So they adopted him out for me for free. I do have some Epsom Salt, but I think it has something extra in it for stress. I'll go pick up some pure Epsom. Thanks for the tips. Hope he gets better soon :(. He keeps floating to the surface sideways and then jolts around on occasion.

Yes, I did treat the water with everything! Have the temperature to 78 degrees. Didn't use a filter due to the fact he can hardly swim!

Will do daily water changes until improvement!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yes, the Epsom salts should be unscented! :)

Your Betta has the same colouring as my son's Betta, which sick right now too. He has dropsy, and we're aware that this is usually fatal, but we are trying to give him a chance too.

Good luck with the pretty little guy.
Netti

1 - 6 of 6 Posts