Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reposting in here since i didnt get a reply.

I mindlessly left my fish in qt yesterday next to betta no.1's tank. betta no.1 falared so much his tail fin split in two. Any special care instructions? Considering his water params are near perfect, How long does it usually take to reseal?

I know that no.1 patches up in a day when he his tail gets a hole from over flaring. But i doubt such a huge split will seal up in just one or two days.

This guy came to me with curly fins, hes quite prone to tearing his fins when flaring, but usually its just te occasional pin hole that dissapears the next day.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm no expert at these things, but based on what I hear around here, adding aquarium salt or an IAL would help, along with keeping the temperature a tad bit higher.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks, Ill hold off on the salt a bit since theres a couple of plants in his tank. But I'll throw in an extra bag of rooibos and see how that goes :) temperature's at 80

thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oooh I can see it fusing slowly, its been almost a day since he blew out his fin and it's 1/4 resealed, hopefully it be back to normal in about 4 days...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Wow! That's so fast 0.0

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, usually any holes in his fin dissappear the next day. I think bettas are fast healer because it's in their nature to fight.

·
Registered
497 Posts
That's insane! I'm glad he's getting better, though! :)

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im glad too :D his fin rot did take a while to heal though. its also probably where he is hurt too. the filaments between the spikes probably heals faster

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gah!!! he just gave himself a nice big hole in his top fins. I don't care any more!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Did he blow them out again? Why is he still flaring?

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think he is prone to blowing out his fins since none of his fines are straight. He was probably exposed to bad water conditions for an extended amount of time which made all of his fins warped and wavy looking with curls at the end of the finer ones. So when he stretches out his fins, places where the imperfections make narrower rip easily. I need to stay out of his sight sometimes. whenever he sees me he gets super excited, opens up all his fins and dances against the aquarium wall. Not a full flare though, doesnt open his manes and stuff. He does it even though he knows he'll only get fed twice a day anyway. lol. such a little blue water pig. Ive punished him and stuffed him into a 1/2 gal qt jar with salt, rooibos and a tiny amount of medication to ward off fungus and bacteria. Hes not getting his 1 gal back till I see all his fins fixed

·
Registered
497 Posts
Awww, that's a shame. Messed up fins and an excitable fish ... Not the best combo.
It sounds like he's healing well, though :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts