Betta Fish Forum banner

41 - 60 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Blind bettas when given proper care will live as long as those with sight. The key things to do: remove any large rough objects like fake decor (caves), rocks, and driftwood that they can hurt themselves on or get stuck in. Live plants are best since they won't hurt the fins and can't really trap the betta (they can wiggle loose). Don't change its tank often as its would have to relearn where what is and its a bit harder being blind. Lastly establish a regime for feeding, give the fish non visual ques to know when to come to the surface and eat (tapping on the glass 3x or lightly splashing the surface at the feeding spot... My going-blind boy comes from the sound of the lid being moved, and swims off (knowing foods done) when he hears the lid put back on.. Unless he's sitting there trying to beg for some extra (he's such a pig)). Always feed in the same spot so it can find food easier. I've seen someone on here use what looked like the tube/ring and suction cup portion of a worm feeder, trainer thier going-blind betta to feed from inside that small ring which keeps food from floating away.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Blind bettas when given proper care will live as long as those with sight. The key things to do: remove any large rough objects like fake decor (caves), rocks, and driftwood that they can hurt themselves on or get stuck in. Live plants are best since they won't hurt the fins and can't really trap the betta (they can wiggle loose). Don't change its tank often as its would have to relearn where what is and its a bit harder being blind. Lastly establish a regime for feeding, give the fish non visual ques to know when to come to the surface and eat (tapping on the glass 3x or lightly splashing the surface at the feeding spot... My going-blind boy comes from the sound of the lid being moved, and swims off (knowing foods done) when he hears the lid put back on.. Unless he's sitting there trying to beg for some extra (he's such a pig)). Always feed in the same spot so it can find food easier. I've seen someone on here use what looked like the tube/ring and suction cup portion of a worm feeder, trainer thier going-blind betta to feed from inside that small ring which keeps food from floating away.
Thanks for all the information! I noticed when I open the feeding lid he goes there so he comes and if not I put my finger in the water and he comes. I'm not sure if he's blind, clumsy or what. It's weird he doesn't like bloodworms... Only pellets. When I gave him bloodworms he spit it out and ignored it and then I have him a pellet and he ate it. He's an odd one xD

·
Registered
577 Posts
Dennis is SUPER cute! Jealous! (I REALLY want a dumbo, I've never had one)
This journal is great- keep doing what your doing! I feel like we are really similar, all I do is think about my fish (and my other pets, but mostly them these days), and I always want more, more, MORE! ;) It's an addiction we have, a dangerous one.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Every fish is different but all my fish eat everything I've put in so far.
Some people soak foods in garlic extract to try to get fish to eat them (if the food was previously rejected), garlic is also good for the immune system. If you don't already have a bottle of extract but have garlic cloves you can make your own with a simple jar + lid or a glass with cling wrap (or sandwich bag) and rubber/hair band. Just de-shell a few cloves of garlic, add tap water, seal glass/jar with real or make shift lid and put in the fridge over night. Next day the water should smell like garlic. If you worry about chlorine, pour a little of the home made extract into a separate cup/bowl and dechlorinate it before soaking food. Btw storing de-shelled garlic cloves in water in the fridge makes them last longer than just out on the counter ^^
Don't use pre-made diced garlics in liquid-the preservatives used are not good for fish-but you can check ingredients... if its not "water and garlic" don't use it for fish).

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Dennis is SUPER cute! Jealous! (I REALLY want a dumbo, I've never had one)
This journal is great- keep doing what your doing! I feel like we are really similar, all I do is think about my fish (and my other pets, but mostly them these days), and I always want more, more, MORE! ;) It's an addiction we have, a dangerous one.
Thank you so much :)! Yeah, I love dumbos! I was looking for some forever and finally found these guys. Yeah it's like I would rather go to the pet store than shopping! My friends/ family think I'm kinda weird with my fish but oh well!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Every fish is different but all my fish eat everything I've put in so far.
Some people soak foods in garlic extract to try to get fish to eat them (if the food was previously rejected), garlic is also good for the immune system. If you don't already have a bottle of extract but have garlic cloves you can make your own with a simple jar + lid or a glass with cling wrap (or sandwich bag) and rubber/hair band. Just de-shell a few cloves of garlic, add tap water, seal glass/jar with real or make shift lid and put in the fridge over night. Next day the water should smell like garlic. If you worry about chlorine, pour a little of the home made extract into a separate cup/bowl and dechlorinate it before soaking food. Btw storing de-shelled garlic cloves in water in the fridge makes them last longer than just out on the counter ^^
Don't use pre-made diced garlics in liquid-the preservatives used are not good for fish-but you can check ingredients... if its not "water and garlic" don't use it for fish).
Wow I've never heard about this! Thanks so much. Yeah I was so surprised when Dennis spit out the bloodworm.. All my other fish love them!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thank you so much :)! Yeah, I love dumbos! I was looking for some forever and finally found these guys. Yeah it's like I would rather go to the pet store than shopping! My friends/ family think I'm kinda weird with my fish but oh well!
My family thinks I'm "overkill" with water changes, which I don't even do enough of. :roll:
And YUP whenever we go out my question is: "Can we go in (whatever pet store is closest)?" I like to think of it as a running joke, but my parents just roll their eyes and get annoyed. ~and of course the answer is no sigh~ XD

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
My family thinks I'm "overkill" with water changes, which I don't even do enough of. :roll:
And YUP whenever we go out my question is: "Can we go in (whatever pet store is closest)?" I like to think of it as a running joke, but my parents just roll their eyes and get annoyed. ~and of course the answer is no sigh~ XD
Sigh, I feel like they never understand.. I'm kinda lucky my dad used to own fish so he understands but my mom thinks im "wasting" my money.. i love petstores :(

·
Registered
577 Posts
My mom is mildly bit with the betta bug, so she's defiantly more understanding about it. My dad, on the other hand, says "I had a ton of fish in a 10 gallon when I was a kid, and I never did water changes, and they were fine!" .... Maybe they stayed alive dad, but I doubt they were happy! That's why I love this site, all of us love this fantastic but often misunderstood hobby of fishkeeping.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
My mom is mildly bit with the betta bug, so she's defiantly more understanding about it. My dad, on the other hand, says "I had a ton of fish in a 10 gallon when I was a kid, and I never did water changes, and they were fine!" .... Maybe they stayed alive dad, but I doubt they were happy! That's why I love this site, all of us love this fantastic but often misunderstood hobby of fishkeeping.
That's very true! Like I could easily do some cruel things such as keeping a betta in a bowl my friend gave me. But i wouldn't because I learned so much on here about how to let your betta thrive!

On a sucky note... The ones new unnamed betta has started fin biting I think. Sigh........

·
Registered
577 Posts
Oooph, I hope it's not fin biting. :/ if so, good luck! Maybe you could start a thread in the care section, see if anyone has any suggestions.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Unfortunately he is :( I can't imagine anything sharp that could rip it, plants are all natural and a rock for bettas is smooth. I'll post a pic soon :(

Kiko is also fin biting. I think he liked the 10 g to himself and now that he's back into his 5g he isn't as happy. I need to put some plants in for him that are live.

Dennis surprisingly the one who I thought was the most weak is happiest, building a bubble nest and no fin biting.

20g, all lively like always. I want to buy more cherry shrimp!

Thank you Axeria and dragon for your comments! I will post in the care section about his tail biting. Hopefully I can somehow make him recover :( thanks for subbing too :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
This may be a Mini rant. I was browsing Kijiji (Canadian Craig's list) and it makes me so mad. There are so many good deals that I can't buy because I still live with my parents. I saw a 10 g for $10 that came with a nice hood. 2 of them if I could I'd go right now and buy them. I would make/ buy a stand and set them all up together. I have room , then I see so many 40 g-75g which are good deals that come with everything and I still can't buy it. If I had enough money right now I would buy it. When I get my own house/apartment this hobby may get out of control :$...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
No name decided to bite his fins................. >:/
FullSizeRender.jpg

No joke, best picture I got of Kiko. He is so speedy and active. He also is a fin biter.
FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Dennis Being a model like always!
FullSizeRender (2).jpg

I'm going to do Dennis & No names first water change while theyre here so wish me luck. Kiko will get his done too and maybe the 20g if im not lazy....

·
Registered
577 Posts
Cute (but also bold) fishies!
And yeah... I always imagine my living space full of fish tanks and an assortment of other pets. Right now, if my parents let me/I had the money, I'd probably have: a 10 gallon Dwarf Puffer tank (you gave me the idea- they're so cute!), my 29 gallon upgrade from my ten gallon completely setup (right now I only have the bare essentials-tank, heater, filter, gravel), a ten gallon giant betta tank, a baby betta from petco, a crested gecko terrarium, and zebra finches! Most of these are happening with time, but my mom probably won't let me have the cresties, and my dad won't let me have the zebra finches (he has something against birds; I have no idea why :roll:)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Cute (but also bold) fishies!
And yeah... I always imagine my living space full of fish tanks and an assortment of other pets. Right now, if my parents let me/I had the money, I'd probably have: a 10 gallon Dwarf Puffer tank (you gave me the idea- they're so cute!), my 29 gallon upgrade from my ten gallon completely setup (right now I only have the bare essentials-tank, heater, filter, gravel), a ten gallon giant betta tank, a baby betta from petco, a crested gecko terrarium, and zebra finches! Most of these are happening with time, but my mom probably won't let me have the cresties, and my dad won't let me have the zebra finches (he has something against birds; I have no idea why :roll:)
So many possibilities x_x your idea sounds great! When I have my own house I for sure I'll have a puffer tank. Or if my store ever starts selling them. They seem adorable! Sounds like a great plan! I used to have zebra finches, they were adorable xD but I had to give them away, my sister hated them so much because of the sound and she wants to cook them like chicken >_> but my friend has them now. If I could right now I would have a small shrimp tank, 20 gallon puffer tank, a lot of bettas in who knows what size and a 40-75 gallon tank for who knows what! Fish have become a great part in my life. Something I look forward to, I also have a dog named Mika :) she's almost 8 and I've had her for so long!

·
Registered
577 Posts
GASP she threatened to cook them!?
Lucky, you had zebra finches! I actually look forward to hearing them sing if I ~ever~ got them. Fish are always on my mind- they're pretty much one of four focal points of my life ;D
You know, that should be a thread; people talking about what pets they would get if they could. Who knows, maybe I'll start it! ;)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
GASP she threatened to cook them!?
Lucky, you had zebra finches! I actually look forward to hearing them sing if I ~ever~ got them. Fish are always on my mind- they're pretty much one of four focal points of my life ;D
You know, that should be a thread; people talking about what pets they would get if they could. Who knows, maybe I'll start it! ;)
Yeah, my sister is a bit vicious... Haha, and that sounds like a great idea! Tell me if you do :) I'd love to talk about all my dream tank ideas!

41 - 60 of 145 Posts