Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this will make either the 3rd time I have tried this pair, they are both Giants, or half giants im not sure, daddy is 3.5 inches red dragon HMPK and mommy is a 3.0 inches black and red dragon Halfmoon, they are both quite thick bodied and very hardy, and strong, and they eat twice as much as my other bettas. The first try daddy didnt move the eggs or keep them clean, they fell from the nest, and only a couple hatched and quickly died, either because of bacteria, or because of the water temp. which i didnt realize was 85 degrees plus, maybe they were not all fertilized. Then the second time I tried he ate the eggs, so I am uploading a video of them spawning now on youtube. here is the link to the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOp6v-AbWRU&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, i thinkk there are only about 50-100 eggs, but i am most excited about this spawn, i already have 200+ free swimmiing fry from another spawn, so ii am going to be one busy bee if these eggs survive.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Your female look more like a short tail then a long tail
But I can be wrong tho
Giant
Still addictive to them
Down side
Bottomless pit when theyre babies(you'll be surprise how much they eat
Larger size tank
Upside
Grow very fast( 1 1/2-2 month theyre the same size as there smaller cousin)
Very easy to switch off food(fry not picky eater)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ii wondered the same thing, but she has longfinned brothers and siisters(so her breeder says),, so we will see, if there are no long finned fry then i will have my answer, i do nor know how to tell between long and short finned females, any ideas?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Anal fin
Hmpk n Pk have short fin to start to end
Hm have a longer one to start and end
After a few year of breeding
My guess is kind of correct
Without knowing the background
Yeah if you breed those two and get some short tail male
She a cross from a hmpkxhm
Hm giant is really expensive

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got her when she was about 5 months old, she wasnt overly large then, but siince then (3 months) She has grown like a weed, i wouldnt mind either way i still love her. I would say she was 2.5 inches when i got her and she may be biigger then 3 inches now

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Will keep on trying to breed that pair
Gaint tend not to live as long as there smaller version
Thats good size for a female
Anything bigger then 3" is breeding quality for size
I know how fast they grown
My last Gaint batch hit 3" in 3 month

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Size of your female or a little bigger
Seem like the female tend to give the size of the fish

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Size of the offspring
If they can manage to produce all 3" plus babies
Then it's a Gaint
Anything smaller then 3" to 2.5 half
Then smaller then that it's regular
Only the short tail
Long fin
Not really sure
The biggest I've seen is 5"

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 150 gallon aquarium I will be dividing into 3 sections (probably with acrylic), for 3 seperate batches of fry, so they have plenty of room to grow, and less water changes, plus a seperate 30 gallon. In the process of collecting enough heaters and accessories for each section.

Update:
Daddy is actually doing very well with the nest this time, moving them around, and cleaning them, does not look to be eating them, and I think I was wrong on the amount, there looks to be more, maybe 150-200, he had some on the side of the cup I didnt see originally, but then he moved them all together.

Daddy is very aggressive with his woman though, this is their 3rd time, and she is looking pretty rough, I will probably not spawn her for quite a while because of the beating she has been given the past two months. She is missing quite a few scales, and her fins are pretty split. I couldnt imagine spawning him with one of my regular sized girls, he would probably kill them within a couple of hits. There was quite a few times I started the spawn, then decided to put her back into the hurricane because he was too rough, well too rough for me to watch, but typically that extra day helped him calm down and they started spawning within an hour.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the help! So if your correct and she is a cross from a HM/HMPK and he is a HMPK, what would my fry be?
All HMPK? or any weird variations?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welp went to check on daddy and eggs, he had ate all but maybe 25, I removed him, in hopes they will hatch on there own, here is hoping, even though it probably wont happen :( Im bumbed, he was doing so well until now :(

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
she looks HMPK, her anal fin is small and straight, unlike HMs there anals curve, and the finnage is a bit larger (IMO)

sorry to hear that, you could try again if they don't hatch
i heard of an experiment with the female taking care of the eggs, i read that they survived, and she took care of them but they where a bit weaker :I

1 - 20 of 31 Posts