Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girl, Petunia, seems to have dropsy. She turned 2 last month and it seemed she had a hard time seeing her food (NLS pellets), she would try and try to eat them but kept missing and the pellet would eventually fall to the gravel, so I switched her over to freeze dried bloodworms, which she easily would eat. I noticed after a few weeks she was having issues with her swim bladder and was sinking to the bottom, so I lowered her water and got her back on the pellets (no longer has a hard time with aim). It's been downhill since. She doesn't sink anymore but for the past 5 days or so I noticed she has looked very bloated. I gave her 1/4 of a defrosted pea and noticed her poo was clear/stringy. Yesterday I looked at her with a flashlight and noticed she was pinecone-ing :'(
I immediately gave her a 100% water change and added 2.5 teaspoons of epsom salt to her 2.5 gal tank. It's a constant 79-81 degrees. Today, a white cotton fluff appeared on her stomach. She has an appetite and responds to me when I go to see her but it doesn't seem to be getting better. I just want her to be comfortable. What do I do? I know dropsy is extremely hard to cure and is a symptom of something rather than a disease itself, so I'm not sure what to do to help her.

Leaf

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yeah, she's pineconing and will die unfortunately. There is no cure for kidney failure, you can't jump-start organs so all you can do is just make her comfortable. You can leave the epsom salt in there for now, it won't hurt anything but it won't help that much either. It's just a waiting game now.

·
Registered
903 Posts
When she goes make sure you buy bleach to clean the tank. Live plants and gravel need to be thrown away, can't save those. If you want to end her suffering, you can put her in clove oil. This isn't your fault so please don't beat yourself up about this.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Also dollar tree has bleach gallon size things of bleach.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it okay if I keep feeding her or will it make the bloating worse? Should I throw away the turkey vaster and heater? I'm planning on throwing away the tank, gravel, etc. I'm going to bury her leaves with her because she loved those. There's no medication I can use to clear her system/get rid of her bacteria issues (white cotton patch)? She's still active and wants to eat so that can't be a bad sign

·
Registered
903 Posts
No the tank, heater and turcky blaster can be saved. Use a mix of hot water and bleach. Rinse well. Caves and the betta leaf can be saved as well. Also you could let your tank dry out for a month. My dads a doctor and told me this works. Six months after bleaching my tank, caves and fish supplies, my bettas are happy and healthy when they go in that tank.

·
Registered
903 Posts
At the end of my poor bettas life, he was pineconing as well.

·
Registered
903 Posts
My boy also had swim bladder issues. It's important to try to find out why she got sick. Did you add anything new to her tank before she was sick? For example, I unknowingly added a sick algae eater to my tank because it was full of algae.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry! My boy had died of Dropsy as well, so I can sympathize. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this too- it's horrible, isn't it, seeing them sick and not being able to do much. Sending good wishes and hugs your way.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
When she goes make sure you buy bleach to clean the tank. Live plants and gravel need to be thrown away, can't save those. If you want to end her suffering, you can put her in clove oil. This isn't your fault so please don't beat yourself up about this.

so wait you cannot keep any of the live plants? I thought there was a way to bleach or rubbing alcohol them without harming the plant? or am I thinking of the fake plants only?

I am sorry for your betta. I never had a betta with dropsey but a friend of mine had, had one with it. =(

·
Registered
903 Posts
We can all agree that you can save the tank, caves and fish equitment that he had contact with

·
Registered
903 Posts
It all depends on what it is. You can save those betta leaf beds. But yeah you can't clean a life plant with bleach or rubbing alcohol with out killing it.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
So what happens to the whole NPTs if a fish develops dropsy? you have to start all over? Man that sucks. T^T

·
Registered
903 Posts
So what happens to the whole NPTs if a fish develops dropsy? you have to start all over? Man that sucks. T^T
Yes and no, the only things that can't be saved is life plants, some types of fake plants and gravel.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
sorry sourjacks for the questions on your thread, though I am sure this will help you out in the future. ^^

What about if you have no fish, in your tank, only plants would the bacteria die off and be able to add another betta in the tank without redoing the tank?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Good question, I'm not sure. I guess it depends on the type.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Oh and I forgot to mention the white fluff isn't disease, that's slime coat irritation from the Epsom salt. That's normal.

For live plants you can do bleach dips and potassium permanganate dips as well to kill off anything.

Dropsy is due to organ failure most commonly, most of it is due to the genetic makeup of the fish. It's all up to the fish keeper, I reuse everything, I disinfect my hard equipment but I don't freak out and tear a tank down due to a genetic anomaly. Of course, its totally up to you if you want to as well, just letting everyone know that there are options if you feel the fish died due to genetic issues and not bacterial. If you're so concerned as well for an NPT, you go run a round of antibiotics in the tank before you get new fish as well. Not sure how effective it is, but its just an idea is all and its all up to the fish keeper.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Oh and I forgot to mention the white fluff isn't disease, that's slime coat irritation from the Epsom salt. That's normal.

For live plants you can do bleach dips and potassium permanganate dips as well to kill off anything.

Dropsy is due to organ failure most commonly, most of it is due to the genetic makeup of the fish. It's all up to the fish keeper, I reuse everything, I disinfect my hard equipment but I don't freak out and tear a tank down due to a genetic anomaly. Of course, its totally up to you if you want to as well, just letting everyone know that there are options if you feel the fish died due to genetic issues and not bacterial. If you're so concerned as well for an NPT, you go run a round of antibiotics in the tank before you get new fish as well. Not sure how effective it is, but its just an idea is all and its all up to the fish keeper.
n

You could save plants??? 😮. Then I could have saved my live plants 😔. I still think it would be worth saving the gravel.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.