Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't know too much about bigger aquariums set-ups--or community tanks. Always just had bettas in their own set-ups. But I was at Goodwill, and they had this 10gal for sale I couldn't pass up. Looked it over well, and other than being really dirty, it's in what seems great shape. I paid $ 14.99 for all the stuff in the pic. Was just wondering if I got a good quality find, and if it's sufficient for a small community tank--or divided in half for my 2 bettas? Any, and all imput welcome. I will be stoked if I can use this once cleaned! *Also, as this doesn't have a filter, any internal filter suggestions welcome.* Thanks for bearing with me and my short novel! =)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Looks similar to the ones that Aqueon sells at Petco, which are pretty good. I would just be sure to check what condition the silicone is in and make sure to leak test it for 24 hours outside before you bring it it in. Would stink to have it burst a seem and spill all over your house :/

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Seems like a good deal. You could put her two males in it or start a sorority!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Okay ... I'll go ahead and be the black sheep, someone has to ;)

I'll say it wasn't a deal. You can walk into any Petsmart and get a 10g with a hood, lights, heater, filter, net, thermometer, etc for $47. (Top Fin&#0174 10 Gallon Aquarium Starter Kit - Fish - Sale - PetSmart)

You'll be looking at about ~$30 to get a heater and filter so... but if you are stuck with it, that's okay, you get the opportunity to buy what you want instead of being stuck with what is in the kit. I find Amazon to be fairly good priced on the 'accessories' that you need beyond the tank itself.

First of all, ditch that under gravel filter, you don't want it.

For a heater, you want a 50W.

For a filter, you can get a sponge which works with an air stone and would need an air pump, or you can get a HOB (hang on back).

As for a community tank, the answer is no, a 10g is too small. The vast majority of community fish, particularly smaller ones, are schooling which means they need to be in numbers of 6 or more, so that means there is no room for additional species. That dosen't mean you can't do fish other than bettas, you can, just do a single species tank.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
IMO-that wasn't a bad deal....on average for used tanks you don't want to pay more than $1.00/gal...so the tank alone is worth $10.00-the hood and light are the most expensive-even used...average for a standard 10gal $20.00 more or less.....and so $15.00 for the used 10gal glass tank with hood and light strip....pretty fair......

Filter-by the looks of it the UGF (under gravel filter) isn't complete-all I see are the plates. UGF work fine if you don't plan any rooted plants-as long as you vacuum the substrate really good at least weekly to keep the plates free of debris-otherwise they will not function properly if the plates are clogged.

Depending on your plans for the tank-if you are not going to use the UGF-either a sponge filter, canister or HOB type filter will work or you could go NPT and not have any filter except for the plants....

As posted earlier-you do want to do a 24h leak test-that will save you a headache later....if it has sat along time without water the seals can dry out and crack or if it was twisted when moved at some point-that can crack a seal.

When I get used tanks (all my tanks are used)-I like to set them up on a level surface outside and fill with water and add a half to 1 cup of bleach and if it came with a filter I hook that up and run it for the 24h leak test time as well-then I drain, rinse and if it has mineral deposit-depending on how bad-I will either re-fill and add vinegar and let it sit for a couple of hours or give it a good scrub with vinegar and with glass tanks I will use a razor blade on the tough spots......

Look forward to seeing what you do with it.....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! Tomorrow I'm going to set it up outside and do a 24 leak test...and if it pans out, I'll clean it. I already have a 50 watt heater, so that's not a biggie. I'll worry about the filter when I find out if it doesn't leak--crossing fingers on that one. The light strip works, but I'm going to replace the bulb anyways. As for filter, I have no idea that it had parts of an under gravel. But I'll either get a HOB or canister--because I'm somewhat familiar w/ them. I'll post pics when I decide what I' doing w/ it. On the lightstrip, it said All-Glass brand. Aqueon, right? Thanks for input. IDK what I would w/o you guys on here. You're like the betta whisperers. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts