Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There are a few things about my betta that are weird. I'm a first time betta owner (as in I'm a first time fish owner), and a Creative Writing student in high school. I should tell first about my fish. He's a red and white, and lives in my dorm room with me. I've had him for about a month.

He lives in a 1 gallon tank, which I know really isn't big enough, but I don't have room for a much bigger tank at the moment. I'm going to college next year, though, and will be getting a bigger tank for him over the summer, since next year my dorm room will be bigger. In any case, I've had him for about a month, and have been doing weekly, 100% water changes. He seemed fine at the pet store (a little lethargic, but I passed that off as the cold water). He had fin rot recently, but he seems to be better now. His fins haven't started growing back, but it's only been about a week since they've stopped deteriorating. He's been eating fine ever since I've gotten him. Even on the first day I got him, he had quite the appetite.

However, there are still some issues. First of all, he keeps hoisting himself onto either the heater (even when it's off) or decorations that stick out of the water. His head is completely out of the water, and he just lays there. I've caught him doing this three times in the past week, and one time, when he hopped onto the decoration, I couldn't get him down, even when I prodded him with the butt-end of a pen (don't worry, that was a last resort, I started by wiggling my finger at him). In any case, the pen finally spooked him into slipping back into the water, but it really concerns me that he's doing this, and I don't know why.

He also goes through these periods of extreme exhaustion and energy, sort of like manic depressive episodes, but every couple of hours. He'll be sleeping against his decoration on the bottom of the tank, and then he'll start swimming around the tank for a while, then just... stop. I mean, I understand that bettas a curious, but there are times when I'm moving around and he won't budge, or times that I'll walk into the room and he'll be swimming in circles. I don't get it.

He also has two dark grey spots on his torso that showed up about two weeks ago. I looked up what they could be, and didn't find anything that really fit. Even fish lice. The spots haven't moved or changed for two weeks. I have no idea what they are, but they weren't there when I got him.

Also, both my roommate and my one friend (who also owns a betta) say that they've never seen a fish--any fish--act like he does. I can't monitor him all the time, either, because I have a really busy class schedule, and can only be in the room for pretty short periods of time throughout the day. I have no idea what's happening and I'm a tad bit afraid for my fish. Does he have a mental disorder? Am I a bad fish parent? What's happening?

· Registered
365 Posts
There should be a sticky with a form to fill out at the top of this section. I'm on my phone, so can't find it right now to copy and paste. If you fill that out, we'll get a better idea of what might be wrong with your little guy based on your water parameters, etc. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
245 Posts
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK.
Click on "Go Advanced" and then on the paper clip in the toolbar.
^^The form. I know you already answered a lot of these but the form just makes it easier for members to gather the information they need to help you quickly as well as providing a few extra details.

From what I can tell from what you've already said and his behavior is that you definitely need to increase his water changes to at least a 50% water change in the middle of the week. Once a week is not really often enough in that size tank.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 1, but I'm getting a bigger one in the coming months
Does it have a filter? No
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? usually around 80.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Nope

Food:
What food brand do you use? Top Fin Color-Enhancing Betta Bits
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Nope
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 3-4 pellets daily, same time each day. He's still a little thin, though, according to a friend who also has a betta.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 100%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I dipped out the water, but I ended up removing the substrate, since I thought it might be contributing to fin damage
What additives do you use? Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus (dechlorinator) and Stress Zyme +

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: last I checked, 0
Nitrite: last I checked, 0
Nitrate: last I checked, 0
pH: 6.5-7 (it was somewhere between there)
Hardness (GH): I don't remember, unfortunately
Alkalinity (KH): I don't remember, either.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? about two weeks ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? fins have been damaged by fin rot, but they have stopped deteriorating. Two dark-ish spots on the body that haven't changed since they first appeared.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Laying on anything that protrudes from the water, lethargy
Is your Betta still eating? yes, and well.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I've done water changes, and its seemed to help the fin damage that was occurring, but his behavior hasn't changed.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? I've had him for a month. This is history in the making, folks.
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? about a month, and other than being stressed, no. I do think the fin rot came from the pet store, but the behavior is relatively recent.

· Administrator
24,632 Posts
He's normal and the spots are part of his coloration. Some Betta change color over time. He also doesn't look as if he had fin rot more like damage from decor or fin biting. Have you tested the decor to see if it will snag a pair of hose? If it does it will also snag his fins. Can you post a photo of the entire tank?

I know you've figured it out but for anyone new reading: Easiest way to upload is to click on "Go Advanced" and then either the paper clip in the tool bar or "Manage Attachments."

Thanks and Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh my goodness, thank you. I have two silk plants in there now, and usually I change up the decor, but I'll stop doing that if they hurt his fins.

And thank you so much! He's stopped climbing on top of things too, even though the heater still protrudes from the water. I think he was perhaps just stressed for a little while? I dunno. He's weird.

THANKS!!
:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.