Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I bought myself Dante about 10 months ago in September of 2014. He is doing very well, but I'm still unsure about what kind he is. I bought him as just a little baby from PetCo and he's gotten a bit larger and darker in color.
He is a really great fish, and about a month ago I did the beard test to confirm his male identity (and clarification on his name).
Any help is appreciated!

(The last picture was taken about a week after I brought him home, and the other two were a week ago). :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
could you get a picture from underneath? If there is a white dot on the underside, then female, if not then probably male

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Plakat for sure! maybe a HM?
It's hard to tell if it is a female, cause the eyes are small like a males and and the Anal fin looks more male to me. But I do see the egg spot on the belly. So I am guessing he is a she. lol
I do see some stress stripes on her meaning that she might be ready to breed. LOL Very pretty fish!

·
Banned
2,033 Posts
Females have the gill membrane too. And they will also flare and be aggressive.

While the anal fin is more pointed, seeing that he's at least a year old, the egg spot should have disappeared if it were a male, but the egg spot is still visible and that make me believe she's a she.

There are male characteristics... the larger eye and the more pointed anal, but the egg spot and overall body shape read female to me..

·
Registered
441 Posts
From the pics it looks like a she... The girls are just as fun, tho! I have one on my kitchen counter.
She's pretty, I love her fin color. Maybe hm pk? We need one of the experts to post on here. :D

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts