Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Little Prince, Elephant Ears
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We adopted Little Price last September. He has always been shy and not much social. Seems like he takes his title (Prince) very seriously and doesn't like to perform tricks. He loves his floating trunk from the first day we brought him. For many months he didn't react much to any outside stimulus like following a finger. He used to swim around the aquarium but not as much as we expected and watch in the other two (2) red veil tails we had. He likes to take naps and hide inside the Sponge Bobs house, the floating trunk, and within the plants. However, about four (4) months I brought him new food (frozen, blood worms, and Bettagram color food) and he loved the color food. He started eating more enthusiastically and also started to respond to our stimulus, no finger following though. It was like our little Prince was changed to a new one. He seems to be happier and more energetic.

About two (2) or three (3) months ago I bought new plants and more substrate. I decided to completely empty the tank to add more substrate and plants. We place him in a hard plastic recipient (about one gallon) and saved three (3) gallons of the water in the tank. I cleaned thoroughly cleaned the tank, add the substrate and place the new plants. By that time (I guess was January or February) although we live in the Caribbean and the temperature doesn't get too cold the water was about 65-68 degrees. Before placing him back we turned on a heater to get the water about 80 degrees. I went out and left him in a big plastic cup until the temperature stabilized. Told my wife to check on him while I was out but, I didn't get my cell phone. My wife saw him desperately trying to get out of the water and swimming very fast. She couldn't get me and called our daughter in NY (she is the one who gets me into bettas, she brought her from NY to PR), and in a video call, she noticed the cup was in contact with the heater. My wife took the heater out and after a little while, he was calm again. When I came back I placed him in the tank, but I believe that after that experience he came back to his original behavior and even more than ever. We just have to move the tank or take the top cover and he immediately used to swim up for food. He even used to have a corner of the tank where he begged for food. We used to call it the "Wailing Wall" (no offense to any one religion). Now he goes a big part of the day resting and hiding, he doesn't even swim up for food when I take the top cover to feed him. I believe his belly had been a little bloated since we adopted him. Since he has big pectoral fins is difficult to check his belly and the only way to find out is with the camera on my phone and wait for him to be in a position that I can take pictures or videos. I have fast him for a day or two and feed him with peas. It seems to work for a while, but now he doesn't want to eat.

My worries are:
1. How long can he be without food?​
2. The temperature now is getting to the high 80's. Can a higher temperature affect him?​
3. Does he seems healthy in the pictures? I have compared many of the pictures and videos I have taken before and cannot see any change. Maybe a little bigger.​
4. It is normal that he be most of the time resting? He can swim up and down and around the tank, but most of the time is resting or hiding.​
I hope someone can help me out to decipher what is going on with our "Little Prince".

Many thanks!

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 gals
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? No
What temperature is your tank? Now it is 84.8 F, but had been 86+
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes, small but behind the division used by the filter.
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? None

Food:

What food brand do you use? San Francisco Bay Brand (Brine Shrimp-Frozen), Aqueon (Betta Treat-Dehydrated blood worms), Bettagran Nature (Color Food-pellets), New Life Spectrum (Betta small pellet)
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Yes, pellets
Freeze-dried? Yes, blood worms
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? He prefers pellets, about 15 mini pellets twice a day.

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Replace one (1) gal every other day. Sometimes two (2) gals. Once every month or two, vacuum the substrate. Only once changed the whole aquarium but saved about three (3) gals. of original water and put it back with about two (2) gals of new fresh treated water.
What percentage of water did you change? Mostly one (1) gal every other day. Sometimes after three (3) days.
What is the source of your water? The water source is from the faucet. Treat the water with Topfin and now API water conditioner. I am let it rest for at least one (1) day. When I had to replace the water the same day wait for about 30-60 minutes before pouring it in.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Mostly dip out water and replace it with fresh treated water.
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? None

Water Parameters:

What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: Between 0 and 5.0
pH: My kit has two tests, PH:7.6 and High-Range: between 8.2 and 8.4
Hardness (GH): I don't have hardness tests, but presume that is hard. PH is almost the same as from the faucet and in the aquarium. It has never been less than 7.4 PH.
Alkalinity (KH): I don't have tests for alkalinity, but I believe the PH will indicate the alkalinity (not sure).

Symptoms and Treatment:

When did you first notice the symptoms? He has been on and off since we "rescued" him in September 2020. However, the signs have been more noticeable during the last couple of weeks.
How has your Betta's appearance changed? No.
How has your Betta's behavior changed? He has always been shy but recently wants to be hidden and is not interested in food.
Is your Betta still eating? Not much. In the last two days, it seems he has not eaten at all.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I only gave him some little pieces of sweet peas. About three (3) weeks ago, he ate some, but now he doesn't want to.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? As far as I know, no, he has not been sick.
How long have you owned your Betta? Since September 2020.
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? I don’t believe he had any harm, but he was in a little plastic cup and was (in my opinion) unhappy there.

FOOD:

Today:

Water Tests:

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also have videos that can be seen better in action. Additionally better angles where one can see the belly and determine how bad is the bloated belly. How do I post videos?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone have any ideas?

Can't read parameters; you have to set the tubes on a white surface.
Hi, thanks for response. Do you bean the tester tubes with the chemical? Besides the pictures I posted all the water parameters. Would it help if I take another picture of the tubes, but in a white surface?

I'm having to use a siphon to collect the food palettes and them squeeze it near him so he can find the food. the success ratio is aprox. 3-4 successful out of 10 tries.

This is a picture of him today. Does he seems to be bloated? Healthy?

Many thanks for any advice.

Regards,

Angel

Attachments

·
Registered
Micheal, Betta 6 months, Neon Tetra, 9 Dwarf Gourami 1, False Julii Corydoras
412 Posts
Hi, thanks for response. Do you bean the tester tubes with the chemical? Besides the pictures I posted all the water parameters. Would it help if I take another picture of the tubes, but in a white surface?

I'm having to use a siphon to collect the food palettes and them squeeze it near him so he can find the food. the success ratio is aprox. 3-4 successful out of 10 tries.

This is a picture of him today. Does he seems to be bloated? Healthy?

Many thanks for any advice.

Regards,

Angel
I don’t know if you can do anything but 84+ is a bit warm for a betta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for your advice. What I have done in the past is placing a gallon of treated water (chlorine remove) in a bowl with water and ice. Since the tank is 5 gals. I mostly change 1 gal at a time. With a thermometer, I wait until the whole gallon of water is about 70-75 degrees. After replacing the water the temperature falls down about 2-3 degrees to about 81-82 degrees. The temperature on the Island gets quite warm. Ambient temperature during the summer can get up to 95 degrees (rarely gets to 100). In the absence of any other suggestion, that is what I have been doing every other day or every 3 days.

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

By the way, we noticed Prince is getting nervous. He is flaring at us when we get close to the aquarium, but just for an instant. I presume he gets stressed to suddenly see a big image (us) in front of the tank. It just lasts for 10-15 seconds; then, he calms down. He wasn't like that. He had reacted panicking even with the sound when I closed a minuscule plastic bowl where I save part of his food. He had panic with a little movement of my hand. He used to swim to the surface with the smallest touch of his tank and start begging for food. I have had to give him food with a dropper when he stays down or hides. Doing that seems to help.

The good news is he is eating better now and seems active for a longer period of time. Today, for the first time in weeks, he swims to the surface and eats almost all the food I gave him. I have decreased the amount of food to a half or a third of what I used to give him. What intrigues me is why he gets so nervous. I used to place the little mirror for him to flare for 1-2 minutes. I have not placed the mirror again for several weeks because I'm concerned that doing so will increase his stress. What would be the cause of his stress? Should I let him play with the mirror anyway?

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
87 Posts
By the way, we noticed Prince is getting nervous. He is flaring at us when we get close to the aquarium, but just for an instant. I presume he gets stressed to suddenly see a big image (us) in front of the tank. It just lasts for 10-15 seconds; then, he calms down. He wasn't like that. He had reacted panicking even with the sound when I closed a minuscule plastic bowl where I save part of his food. He had panic with a little movement of my hand. He used to swim to the surface with the smallest touch of his tank and start begging for food. I have had to give him food with a dropper when he stays down or hides. Doing that seems to help.

The good news is he is eating better now and seems active for a longer period of time. Today, for the first time in weeks, he swims to the surface and eats almost all the food I gave him. I have decreased the amount of food to a half or a third of what I used to give him. What intrigues me is why he gets so nervous. I used to place the little mirror for him to flare for 1-2 minutes. I have not placed the mirror again for several weeks because I'm concerned that doing so will increase his stress. What would be the cause of his stress? Should I let him play with the mirror anyway?

Thanks to all.
Regarding his nervousness, I wish I could offer expert advice, but I'm a newbie at betta care. What I can add is that my boy just recovered from a terribly stubborn bout of fin rot. Now that he's doing better, freely moving around his tank and gaining new fin growth, he sometimes flares at me, too! hahaaa. I just took this a good thing; like he feels good enough to be fiesty. I'm curious to know what other expert caregivers say.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Regarding his nervousness, I wish I could offer expert advice, but I'm a newbie at betta care. What I can add is that my boy just recovered from a terribly stubborn bout of fin rot. Now that he's doing better, freely moving around his tank and gaining new fin growth, he sometimes flares at me, too! hahaaa. I just took this a good thing; like he feels good enough to be fiesty. I'm curious to know what other expert caregivers say.
Haha, well, you're right. Flaring at us could be taken as a good sign. Let see what time brings. At least he's getting better. He never was too social. 😁 However, I think he's healthy.

Thanks, and I'm too curious as to what the experts can say about the subject.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts