Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes, I've done it again. :roll: I had managed to restrain myself for a long time, I only had Yogi, my 1.5 yr old former-class-pet-betta, then about 2 months ago I saw a little redish-brownish HM at petco and bought him. then about a month later I got Hiroshi, my beautiful plakat boy from aquabid, for my b-day and splurged and bought him a 5 gal aqueon mini bow .Then about a week ago I saw a very pale grey dobletail at petco, and bought him (despite my mom's disapproval :lol: . (he's now perked up ALOT and is a dark steel blue! :-D) Well unfortunately my little HM guy was acting lethargic and died this week from unknown causes :cry: SO today me and my mom were at walmart today and of course the first place I go is the fish section. they had about 8 cups, a few were females. surprisingly, the water didn't look too dirty. better than my petco actually. (I saw a little female with dropsy so bad she couldn't even swim, I wish I could have bought her and made her comfortable even though she obviously wouldn't have made it but I couldn't risk infecting all my fish :cry:) ANYWAY in the back of all the cups was a little marble VT, easily the nicest betta I've seen at any store. I knew I wasn't gonna leave without him but I was afraid of my mom's reaction LOL so i'm like "okay pleeeeeaaase don't kill me but I just gotta get this one! look how pretty he is! :-D" Well she was only a bit reluctant but let me get him!! :-D:-D:-D
OKAY sorry for the long post- here he is!!!!!

get me out of this tiny cup!!!
--
flaring at Hiroshi!!

*GRRRRRR!!!*
---
showing off my pretty tail!

----
wat r u lookin at? :-x

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
i love both of your boys :3 there adorable, also i had a female that survived from dropsy but died by jumping out the tank >.> i just gave her iodized table salt :p and she got better in a half of a week :p or more

okay tell your mom this "mom, there are more people that has even MORE betta's than me like the person with 5 adults and 2 baby betta's" AND I COULD GET 13 MORE BETTA'S WITH PERMISSION (because i got a new cabinet) WHOO! (just like cole train :-D) thats not even for the sorority yet ;-)

·
Registered
302 Posts
My mom thought I was nuts for having 2 bettas and a hamster at the same time! (I only have one betta and a hamster now). But I've convinced her that one betta is just not cutting it. My one betta is in a gallon vase, right under my lamp. I know, not ideal conditions, but she is surprisingly peppy and happy in there. I'm hoping to get 1-2 new plakat guys to soothe her lonliness. Then I will put the new guys in 1.5 gallon tanks untill I get two 10 gallons. One for the new boys to split and one for Shimmer to have all to herself until I find another betta to share with her. My plan is to get 2 plakat guys from Chard56 (on aquabid) then to splurge on a guy and or girl from a breeder in Thailand. The guy or girl from Thailand will be really expensive because the guy charges like 20-25 dollars a betta + like $30 in shipping fees. But in the end I hopefully will have 4 bettas in total. :) My mom is learning to deal with my obsession. :)

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
i still want a DBT girl, HMPK girl, HM girl, CT girl, DBTHM girl xD
and 13 boys, and gonna spawn :) and my parents are cool with it (as long i pay for the girls from aquabid :-D)
i love your boy don't know the coloration though :p

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
The problem is ONE betta is never enough. Once you see that happy little guy/girl full of personality you want to make another one just as happy.

I'm currently itching to get another tank! I have an entry table in my apartment with an outlet beind it that would be PERFECT for a 5 galon. I'm keeping strong.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
heheh @ betta lover you are soo lucky!!! and wow I thought you couldn't cure dropsy! you got lucky!

bettamommy- AWWW I love hamsters, accidnetally got a pregnant one once! whats even worse is that the store said she was a boy *facepalm*

@Vilmarisv thats so true! after my little doubletail colored up so much I wanted to rescue another! and DOOO ITTTT! Get the tetra 5 gal from walmart, only $30 w/filter & light! gonna get one next week for my new boy!

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I'm afraid my family'll pull me into an intervention :lol: if they do I'm taking my bettas and going to wherever it is that's warm all year round >.> :lol:

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
:lol: I got 2 20s 2 10s and a 29 and a bunch o' 3s. o.o also, USA walmart is so much cheaper than canada :lol: lucky!

·
Registered
302 Posts
i still want a DBT girl, HMPK girl, HM girl, CT girl, DBTHM girl xD
and 13 boys, and gonna spawn :) and my parents are cool with it (as long i pay for the girls from aquabid :-D)
i love your boy don't know the coloration though :p
You are sooooo lucky! My parents would never let me have that many bettas! I had to work hard to get to the point where I can have 3/4!:lol:

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I moved out, and my landlord told me I could have as many fish as I want - just no cat or dog. >.> He doesn't know me very well. Eventually I'll get into spawning again, just not now lol.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
My Mom would never let me have one Betta, we had a fish tank in the garage for years and were allowed no fish. Parents are only trying to teach you to limit what you have so you can properly take care of it. It's easy to overload with Bettas, and that can move into other animals and possibly kids down the road LOL So if your parents say 2 is a limit, respect it. It's their rules and they are only wanting the best for you.

Now that I'm a parent myself, and I make my own money and pay bills, I have as many Bettas as I can handle. My kids will be limited should they ever want Bettas. 2 max here as well.

Your new boys is gorgeous, reminds me of my Ben <3

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
pfft my mom was a "no animals at all because I hate those kinds of animals" aaand then I came home with a fish and she ridiculed me for having a "stupid" animal xD well...she said no hamster, dog, cat, guinea, bird, etc :lol: After a while she got used to me having fish.
However I've seen people ask "how can I get my dad to let me get a puppy? I have 3 cats, 2 birds, a hamster and a rabbit but I REALLY want a puppy." x.x my answer is always: you can't. lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
haaaw.. wow.. You saved his life!
I bought my fish at Petland but it was really dirty and it smelled really bad... there were almost 20 fishes and all of them in bad conditions.. I just wanted to buy all of them but I could not take care of 20 betta fishes.. loll

I think it's always betetr to buy a fish at a petshop than at a breeder because you save a life!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I bought my fish at Petland but it was really dirty and it smelled really bad... there were almost 20 fishes and all of them in bad conditions.. I just wanted to buy all of them but I could not take care of 20 betta fishes.. loll

I think it's always betetr to buy a fish at a petshop than at a breeder because you save a life!
Normally I would buy a betta from a petstore, but I've had sooooo much bad luck and heartbreak that I just can't take anymore petstore bettas for awhile. Also none of the petstores near me have plakats, and I realllllllly want a plakat. I especially want a salamander plakat. I even have a wanted add in the classified section. Click here to view my add:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90776

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
that would be nice to come across lol. Here, I was lucky to find ONE plakat female... and my females are all combtail now. all the males are VT, VT or VT :lol:

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My Mom would never let me have one Betta, we had a fish tank in the garage for years and were allowed no fish. Parents are only trying to teach you to limit what you have so you can properly take care of it. It's easy to overload with Bettas, and that can move into other animals and possibly kids down the road LOL So if your parents say 2 is a limit, respect it. It's their rules and they are only wanting the best for you.

Now that I'm a parent myself, and I make my own money and pay bills, I have as many Bettas as I can handle. My kids will be limited should they ever want Bettas. 2 max here as well.

Your new boys is gorgeous, reminds me of my Ben <3
hahaha yeah, my mom is OK with me having four bettas but she can't understand why one isn't enough. :lol: she thinks that having larger tanks are "ugly" and take up too much room so she's not too happy about my five gallon upgrades but hey I pay for it ;-) and I take care of them, too... shes never changed the water, fed them etc. so thats why it annoys me when she complains about my fish, I don't ask for anything from her, yet she bugs me about having aquariums in MY room! :roll:

pfft my mom was a "no animals at all because I hate those kinds of animals" aaand then I came home with a fish and she ridiculed me for having a "stupid" animal xD well...she said no hamster, dog, cat, guinea, bird, etc :lol: After a while she got used to me having fish.
However I've seen people ask "how can I get my dad to let me get a puppy? I have 3 cats, 2 birds, a hamster and a rabbit but I REALLY want a puppy." x.x my answer is always: you can't. lol
awww I've always had pets, my mom got me two little goldfish in a five gallon tank when I was like three and then when I was like six I had my first betta, a blue veil tail who lived in a half gallon vase. i feel so guilty for treating them badly but at least now I know better :) I've learned a lot from this site :-D

me too! I know some argue that if you buy from a pet store you are "supporting" them to buy more bettas but I think you can make a bigger statement by boycotting the small, decorative tanks, then you're encouraging them to stock more appropriate homes for bettas, and not tell people to keep the fish in a 1/2 gallon bowl :)

Normally I would buy a betta from a petstore, but I've had sooooo much bad luck and heartbreak that I just can't take anymore petstore bettas for awhile. Also none of the petstores near me have plakats, and I realllllllly want a plakat. I especially want a salamander plakat. I even have a wanted add in the classified section. Click here to view my add:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90776
awww, I'm sorry to hear that! good luck finding your salamander, they are so pretty!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yop, salamander BFs are GORGEOUS!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts