Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to PetSmart today with the intent of buying two nerite snails and walked out with their last nerite, a 5.5g starter kit, two decorations [thanks mom], and a new betta boy.
He and the snail don't have names yet.
I always look at the bettas at every store I go into and this time I fell in love. I've been wanting a marble betta for a while and I just can't get away from those halfmoons even if I keep having tailbiters. I kept putting him down and looking at all the others to distract myself and he kept watching us and wiggling while all the others ignored us. I'm a sucker.

He's young but I don't know much about betta age. I found a site with pictures for each week and I'm guessing 9-10 weeks [I saw one girl there who was definitely 8 weeks or so.]

I put my new boy and the snail in the Top Fin 5.5gal with a baffled filter, swapping out an old filter from my 10g for a boost in the cycle, also swished all my old media in the water that I used for the new tank. Used about 3.5 gal of water from the 10g and the rest fresh so that I had some bacteria and algae for the snail.
Enough of that, on to pictures!

His caudel fin is messy but it's not like I enter mine in shows or breed. I love his anal fin's shape though!

No face, but you can really see his color.

Little fishy, little snail.

Side by side tanks.

In his little cup.

He's already colored up so much. I can't wait to see how he'll change and grow! He's about the same age Kirei was when I got him in late October and has a similar personality, it's fantastic. He's absolutely loving his new tank but we had to stop taking pictures after he started to get camera shy. So enjoying him!

I still want to go back when Petsmart gets their new shipment of nerites in. I might get three now, two for the 10g and one for the 5.5g.
Speaking of snails, the one I got from Petco had a cracked shell, barely moved, and soon died. This one from Petsmart is very active, no injuries to the shell at all, so adorable.
Now I just need to name them!

Bonus! Someone was getting jealous while we were fawning over the new fishy!

Decided to wrap himself in pennywort.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Wow he is a pretty one! I actually like the shape of his caudal. I think the uneven ones are interesting to look at.

Ooo, in the first picture it looks like he has blue eye shadow, how cute~

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha thank you!

I was just noticing the blue eyeshadow too. It doesn't show up in person haha. I wonder if it'll get darker later.
The uneven tails are a bit more fun though, aren't they?
Since Kirei has scales growing over his eyes, I purposely chose not to go the dragonscale route this time. I love my boy but I'd rather not have two blind boys if I can help it. I'm hoping he stays perfectly healthy so that I can devote the special needs time to Kirei [And because I lost my first, Chi, to every health problem imaginable].

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Wow, he is beautiful.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awe! I look over and someone's making his very first bubblenest! This is a very serious job, he says.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts