Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, how are y'all? I'm new here :)

So for about the past month or so I had been thinking about getting a betta. Last weekend I went out and got one sold as a roundtail and named him 'Stata'. I have him in a 2.5g unfiltered with a few live plants. He swims around quite a bit and really seems to enjoy the peace lily roots.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Cute guy, but Peace Lillies aren't meant for aquariums, nor are they true aquatic plants, despite what the people at pet stores say to get them a sale :)

Tank also needs a heater, as bettas are tropical and require 78-80, give or take a degree or so- an unheated tank can fluctuate too much, stressing and causing shock to the fish and plants. Too cool of temps will kill off the plants, cause your betta to have a lowered immunity, slower metabolism, lethargy, shorter life span, etc.
Need a thermometer as well to know the temp, and when you do your twice weekly water changes in that size of a tank- to know what the temp is you are putting in there.

May want to check what other plants you have and their requirements, as a lot need a cycled tank, with fertilizers, etc.

It's a cute set up, but needs tweaks.. heater most important, peace lilly out of the tank, as it's not aquatic and will die which can cause health problems to the fish/tank, check to make sure other plants don't need a cycled/filtered tank (they will need a heater as well), and if your tank doesn't have a lid, you will want to lower the water level as they are jumpers.

For cleaning, it will depend on how many plants you end up with at the end- for unfiltered tanks you will still want to be doing a 100% water change, but with enough live plants you can forgo that and just do a smaller one with vacuuming. But can't really give you an appropriate water change schedule if you decide to replace the lilly with another, and how many survive the next week or so..

Not trying to be rude, just making sure you understand that plants need more then just water, and bettas need more then just water as well :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Cute tank! Your betta must be happy to have so much space! :)

Just a couple of things:
Bettas need to be in water between 76 and 80. So a heater and thermometer are a MUST.
Also is there a lid on your tank? I can't really see. If not, I suggest you get one. bettas are jumpers and we would all hate to see your little guy jump out and fall.
Filters are not a must with betta tanks as long as you keep up with frequent water changes. All in all, cool tank.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Cute tank! Your betta must be happy to have so much space! :)

Just a couple of things:
Bettas need to be in water between 76 and 80. So a heater and thermometer are a MUST.
Also is there a lid on your tank? I can't really see. If not, I suggest you get one. bettas are jumpers and we would all hate to see your little guy jump out and fall.
Filters are not a must with betta tanks as long as you keep up with frequent water changes.
All in all, cool tank.
You can also put a little more hiding places in the tank like a little cave.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.